S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am new to this forum, but i couldn't find anything about this. I am planning on building a AWD s-10 with a 350, hopefully twin turboed if all goes well. I was wondering if there was anyway to mate the Borg Warner 4472 transfer case to a manual. i dont know many names of manual transmissions so i dont have any for examples, but if anyone has any information on this please tell me. thanks a lot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 reasons

1. money... they are expensive!

2. Power.. if i were to go normally aspirated 350 i would be running about 400 horse, but if i can get this twin turbo deal right maybe around 650-700 horse.

i was doing some more research and their is a NP 203 transfercase used in tha late 70's. It was made for full size trucks and its also full time 4 wheel drive=awd. Does someone have any information on this transfercase? The other thing is that someone said they heard about some guy using the Borg Warner 4472 with a TH400 transmission. If anyone else knows about this please tell me about it. Another question is, isn't the stock rearends on an s-10 or syclone, a little small for higher horsepower applications?

·
Wang!
27 Posts
How long do you think it will take you to do something like this? You realize 700 hp will break about any transfercase you MIGHT be able to stuff in that tiny truck... You think a TT 350 AWD completely custom fabricated S-10 won't be expensive??

The rearend in an S-10 would do good to take 250 rwhp, let alone 700...

How do you plan to stuff an SBC and all the turbo tubing and turbos under the hood of such a small truck? Sounds to me like you have a possible setup for a full size truck, but I think you will have a hard time crammin' all that drivetrain stuff into an S-10...

Please, don't take this as being negative or flaming, just playing the devil's advocate here...

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
TurnerS10 said:
How long do you think it will take you to do something like this? You realize 700 hp will break about any transfercase you MIGHT be able to stuff in that tiny truck... You think a TT 350 AWD completely custom fabricated S-10 won't be expensive??

The rearend in an S-10 would do good to take 250 rwhp, let alone 700...

How do you plan to stuff an SBC and all the turbo tubing and turbos under the hood of such a small truck? Sounds to me like you have a possible setup for a full size truck, but I think you will have a hard time crammin' all that drivetrain stuff into an S-10...

Please, don't take this as being negative or flaming, just playing the devil's advocate here...
pretty much everything you said is close if not dead on.

if he were to use and automatic the transfer case will survive 1000+ hp, so will the front and rear diffs.
if he uses a stick he'll rip the chain out of the BW4472 the first time he dumps the clutch, and if the t-case doesn't die the diffs will.

click here to see a 9 second syclone with the stock t-case and diffs. notice on the second page there's a link to a TT V8 syclone.

·
Wang!
27 Posts
I have two Camaros, an LT1 and LS1. The LS1 makes 364 RWHP through a stock T-56 tranny. The LT1 pumps out 352 RWHP through a stock TH400. They share a common rearend, the LT1 has ~42K miles on it, no problems... The LS1 has killed the rearend twice in ~28K miles...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay so i can't run a stick with the all wheel drive set-up. the other thing is that i would only get to use the 700r4? I only seen one 700r4 that is built fer up to 700 HP, but its aroud 2000 dollars too. :/ There are th400's everywhere built for up to 1000 hp for around 1000. thanks for the help guys

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
go over to syty.net and look through the forum. there are a couple of shops that can setup a th350 or th400 for use with the BW4472 t-case.
and of course your other options are 700r4, 4l60e, 4l65e and 4l80e. but these are a lot more expensive for that power level.

·
Wang!
27 Posts
Maybe ~700+ hp is a little overboard? It would sure be alot easier, and alot more logical to settle for a ~400 hp range, N/A motor and build around that... You goto a TH400 and your talking about a BIG transmission both in physical size and weight that will be 30% less efficient than your other options. Also a TH400 is going to give you three gears, no overdrive, While the other options allow you the luxury of an overdrive 4th gear.

A TH400 is bulletproof however I have found its drawbacks to substantially outweight it's advantages... The 4L-E series transmissions are all electronically controlled (hence the E designation) and this brings up more to deal with... If you were to settle on a ~350 flywheel hp SBC you could definitely get by with a stock transmission, only modified to work with the transfer...

It is all dependant on your plans for the vehicle, your time alotted to work on said vehicle, and the size of your wallet... I don't see how you could properly do such a swap without spending big money...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i wasn't going to go the th400 route untill i read about some guy on the syty.net forums who did it. He said he got only 2 mph less than the 700r4 in the quarter mile.

http://www.syty.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29084

now the transmission and parts to make it work right are too much money.. $2660, but just his transmission cost $2265. I was looking into the 4l80, but it weighs waaaaaaay more i think it was around 200 pounds more than the th400. the th400 weighs around 30-40 pounds more than the 700r4! i always thought it was such a beast but after finding that out, its a different story. also on the gas mileage there is a way to work around it... you can order a deeper 1st & 2nd, and then you can get taller differential gears. and besides.. its performance usually gas mileage isnt a factor, and/or achieveable

·
Registered
507 Posts
TurnerS10 said:
Who in the hell thinks the 4L80 is 200 lbs. MORE than a TH400... Thats insane...
Someone who's taken one with a brake on the extension housing out of a 3500HD. I don't know about 200 pounds but a 4L80 is heavier than a th400, including the converter, that alone is at least 20 pounds heavier than a th400 converter.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I built this 4L80E, it originally had a parking brake on the tail.

And I built this th400.

There is a reason the 4L80 is on the floor and the th400 is on the bench. :p
I'd say 100 pounds heavier including the converter would be about right. Thats a 4L80E without the parking brake, not a 4L80E with a parking brake could very well be 200 pounds heavier.
And FYI the only similiarities between the two are the rear gear train, and a very few other gear train and clutch parts, there aren't many parts in a 4L80 that interchange with a th400. There's quite a bit more than just an added overdrive as most people say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts