S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about something. I been a fan of AWD S-trucks for a lil while. I personally like the Typhoon. But I been wondering how I can make a "replica". I wanna know what to and how to convert a S-10's 4x4 transfer case to run full time AWD? Also the S-10 pick up i'm planning on building up ground up is a 87' S-10 reg. cab swb. 2wd. How hard would it be to convert a 2wd S-10 to a 4wd? Then convert that to AWD?

Basically I have a 87 2wd S-10 pick-up that I wanna convert into a AWD. But 1st I gotta convert the truck to 4x4.

This project will (hopefully) be a AWD with a twin-turbo LS1 or supercharged 383.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH also just to mention. I never seen a AWD in a drag race b4. Would AWD get me a quicker holeshot? I'm guessing yes b/c AWD will be delivering all the HP evenly and more useful traction. Jus a thought.

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
there's a couple ways to convert your truck to 4x4 or AWD, the best would be to just swap the body onto a 4x4 frame. another way that could be worst (depending on the weld quality) would be to weld the front half of a 4x4 frame onto yours.

to get AWD you need the right transfer case, it's not a 4x4 case locked in 4wd, it's a Borg Warner 4472. astros, bravadas and syty's use it so finding one shouldn't be hard. as far as i know this t-case can only be used with a 700r4 or 4l60e.
you'll also need the front diff from a syty or bravada, if you can't find one then get the RH axle and tube from one along with the pinion flange. and you'll need the trans crossmember, t-case adapter, t-case brace and propshaft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I hear ya dude. I guess i'll just buy a old 4x4 junker and put the body on that one. I never took a cab or body off a fram before. I wonder how hard it is to do? I'm just worried that once I take it off it might not "line up" right once I put it back on he frame.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
just a note on the engine - a turbo might be a better route, since 383's make power down low, and supers make power up high, so maybe a diesel-style turbo for your engine would be better, to create more power way down low, which is what a 383 is good at. im going for a ZZ383 converted to TPI with a turbo, and nitrous. i dont think it would be that hard to replace the body on the frame, as long as you took measuerments from given locations on the body in respect to the nearest body mount, and maybe make grease or chalk marke on the body and frame before you removed the body, so when reassembling, you could judt line the marks up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Muddy. I am still not sure about my engine choice as of yet. I was thinking about something else just recently. Iwas looking at one of these hot rodding mags. I seen this old Nova in the mag that had the twin carb set-up but was running twin TBIs with twin Prochargers. The guy that owns it said it runs like a turbo motor. His 427 small block makes all the low-end ad when that power starts to fall the superchargers kick in and the boost just keeps the revs climbing. I thougt it was cool. and I never thought of putting two "vortech style" blowers on a motor. But I wanna run Tuned Port Injection. I wanna get the Holly Stealth Ram manifold if I do becaus I plan on running Vortec heads.

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
blazers have holes in the body mount tabs and on the body that line up, trucks should have them to. look at your body mounts at the front of the cab, if you stick your head under the mount and look straight up you will see both holes.
i'm guessing the factory has a jig that holds the frame and body together through these holes to keep them lined up before the mounts are tightened.
then it'd be just a matter of lining the bed up with the cab and your done.

btw, i've had the body of my blaze off its frame and it's a bear. a truck should be a lot easier though, considering it'll be less than 1/2 the weight. i did it alone using only a floor jack to lift and lower it one corner at a time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd like to do a 2nd Gen...

Start with a 4wd, lower it and swap-in the transfer-case to the AWD model.
Then install an LS1. Then a Corvette IRS in the rear.
THAT would be a sweet machine! There would be nothing else like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts