S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 sonoma, and for christmas, my mom's boyfriend want to get my truck dropped (a very generous offer, and i am very grateful). now he talked to some people he knows who do work on cars, mostly wheels, but some suspension stuff too. he said that it would cost about 300 dollars for the springs and shocks and everything, and about 7 hours of labor, totalling around 500-600 bucks.
i honestly dont know much about my truck yet, and although i am learning as fast as i can (gotta start somewhere) i am not at all capable of doing such major work on my truck yet. he said there is a possibility that the cost of labor could be cut in half, since the guy we are doing all of this through is good friends with him.

now what i want to ask is, what do you think of this price? considering that i cant do it myself of course. should i look more into what springs and shocks i want to get? does 500 bucks sound reasonable for a 3/4 drop? any other information you could provide would be excellent. im just starting from the beginning, so please no 'you dont know what the fck your doing' stuff, i know i dont, thats why im asking

thanks very much, your help will be greatly appreciated

ryan

·
SVT Cobra Moderator
16,020 Posts
1st 600 is too much. 2nd just order the parts find a friend and learn how to do it yourself. its much more fun if you do it and you will learn something. It is the easiest thing to do in world and it can be done with simple hand tools. im no mechanic but it took me about 7 hours with lots of breaks. trust me it is easy learning to do it and doing it is much better than having a shop do it.

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. i looked into the FAQ in this forum, and im now thinking about ordering a belltech 3/4 drop package, but i'd like to know where i could get more detailed instructions for the procedure, or will this sort of thing be included in the kit?

--I have done basically no work on vehicles in my life. if i decide to get together with a couple friends and try to do this myself, will i be getting myself into a big mess that will end up being a major pain in the ass? what experience did you guys have when you decided to drop your trucks on your own?

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
I had worked on cars before, but I had never taken the suspension out from under anything...so a good laymans understanding. Did the coils and spindles up front and leafs and blocks out back with the help of my 13yo son. Study up, get some good pointers(i.e. this is what I did, look out for that, ect.), a friend who has a clue is a bonus, and for what you save in labor you can get better/more parts!

Don't be afraid to come on here and grill people for answers...for every ass that says "this has been asked ___,___,___(<--insert absurdly large number) time...do a search" 10 people will give you some good advice.

·
Old School Member
12,166 Posts
yea id do it myself if i were you...
last december when i dropped mine 3/4 it took me, my uncle, and my old man about 12 hours but it was cold so we took a lot of breaks and we did coils, drop leafs & blocks and put new shocks on the rear
good luck :thumbup:

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good, i think working on it myself sounds like a much better idea now that i've heard some of your opinions

im gonna talk to a couple friends who have a little more experience than me and ask for some help, and im sure ill be back to ask questions

thanks again

ryan

·
In a matter of time...
342 Posts
I had no mechanical experience WHAT so ever and did springs/spindles/shocks in the front, and blocks in the rear. I worked with ONLY hand tools as well, nothing was power. Took me 3 days on and off to get it all done. You can really do it by yourself with no experience, im living proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts