S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... Im talking the 4.3 s-10 here. Honestly i know some depends on the driver... but lets say potentially, which is faster, the 4.3l auto or the 4.3l std? I know back in the day this would have been hands down for the std, but i also know that auto trans has gotten better.. so let me know what you guys think.
:spam:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I haven't driven a 4.3 S-10 auto, but I have driven a lot of auto's and 5sp. and personally I think a stick would definately be better for performance. All the auto's seem sluggish and always seem to shift before they hit peak power and they seem to shift slow. Maybe if you get a shift improver so it tightens up the shifts and doesn't make it shift too early, it might be okay. The other thing I would have to say is that if you think about it, having 5 gears gives you less time per gear, so you stay in the higher RPM's more often which gives you more power over a 3 or 4 sp. auto. But for people that have a hard time driving stick, an auto of course would be faster.

DogP

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly how i feel... You are getting lots more horsepower up in the 4000 rpm range than in the 2 (about where auto shifts) I totally agree, and i am very surprised at the amount of people that disagree. Maybe they are not good with a stick, or raced someon who isnt. Practice makes perfect :) anyways.. thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw nice truck DogP

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In about 5 weeks here (right after school lets out) I am going to be getting a 98 ext cab, 4.3l std. Hehe... i have never driven a truck b4. Heh... but, practice makes perfect, and by the time school comes around, i should be speed shifting

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah, a truck is a little different to drive, I think mostly because of the lack of weight over the wheels... the tires break loose pretty easily :D . I wish I had a 4.3, but my 2.2 is getting me where I need to be. Good luck w/ the truck and have fun w/ it and post some pics when you get it.

DogP

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i dunno you can get a trans module and chirp the tires on shifts of course u have to buy the module for it to do it i dont really know what u mean about auto shifting at 2k rpms....it will shift at 2, 3, 4 and if its floored it will shift at red line...of course a stick is alot more sporty and with the right driver i'm sure they could beat a stock v6 auto with a stock v6 stick.....another con to auto is its more expessive....i order just for the luxary of having an auto....if i wanted to race i'd have gotten a sports car.....

ps my first truck and the one i drive at work is a stick so i know how :D

·
******* Off-Road
1,047 Posts
If its a stick, I hope its not the stock one. If its a auto same applies. They both suck for performance peroid.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
God Damn F'ing Torque Management.. Its the only real complaint that I have with the auto trans-vestites. I often find myself grumbling about how if this was a stick I wouldnt be feeling something managing the torque right now. lol

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
auto Tranny=slush box never beats 5sp unless you a granny shiftin ****, plus better mileage by a little, longer engine life, and if you have a kinky girl you can tell her to straddle the shifter while you rev the engine.

·
The God of Death
36 Posts
I've always preferred a standard, but my '01 Xcab Xtreme was an auto 2.2 w/a 4.10 rear and a K&N drop-in. It ate quite a few imports. But I'm goin with a 6-speed in my new project.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey way back there, i said i have never driven a truck b4, i have a truck now... i meant to say i havent driven a stick. man... my fingers have a mind of their own.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
mrshaft696 said:
auto Tranny=slush box never beats 5sp unless you a granny shiftin ****, plus better mileage by a little, longer engine life, and if you have a kinky girl you can tell her to straddle the shifter while you rev the engine.
My truck is the first automatic I have owned so I know both sides of the coin. Stock vs Stock I'll take a stick any day. If your gonna modify it give me a 4L60E with a converter and a reprogram kit and I'll go against any stick around.:thumbup:

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
02REDXBLAZE I dont understand your post, does it mean your truck now will beat any 5sp, or the modded tranny you speak of will, or you think you can drive an auto so well it will beat a 5sp, elaborate. And even if 5sp was slower I still wouldnt drive a slush box, because I like to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
personally I think the automatic is better, my automatic trans with the 4.3 chirps the tires in second and third gear, course im pushin 250hp

·
Beaver Scout
32 Posts
Most drag racers use automatics for a reason but for me there's nothin' better than lettin' the clutch fly and bangin' 2nd. An automatic is probably faster but I'll run my ol' Muncie against 'em anytime.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts