S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... Im talking the 4.3 s-10 here. Honestly i know some depends on the driver... but lets say potentially, which is faster, the 4.3l auto or the 4.3l std? I know back in the day this would have been hands down for the std, but i also know that auto trans has gotten better.. so let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would have to stay the standard shift would be a little quicker, just cause theres no 2 ways around having to spin a whole lot more tranny guts and gears with the auto, just my 2 cents....

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
I'm gonna say auto. Standard shift depends too much on driver coordination.

Also, differential gears play a part too. I know a lot of autos came with 3.42 and 3.08 gears. That right there makes a major difference.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i raced a guy with a standard and beat him 2 times in a row....of course i dunno what gears he has and if he spun at all.....all i know is i beat him while drinking a soda and talking on my cell phone :D

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
wangdified

yeah im gonna have to say the manual would kick my ass, maybe if my auto didnt suck, its got a sticky valve

:troutslap
^ ^
| |-------- me
|
|--------------manual

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
ok that sucked f*ck ascii

·
Registered
23 Posts
heres a different set of terms to simplify my reasoning (breaking it down barney style). The standard transmission has less spin weight, just like the e-fan mod , the manual puts less restriction on the motor because the auto is a heavier spin weight. People can say, "i beat a guy twice with a manual", ok, thats fine and dandy, but could that other guy drive? So theoretically 2 motors with the same horsepower rating , 1 backed with a manual , the other with an auto would have the same hp at the flywheel, but would not at the rear, but :whogives: as long as you beat the other guy right?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
depends on drivers.

ive seen a s10 from 308 to 373 on a 5 speed drop 5/10s ont eh 1/4 with exhaust

my buddy with his auto went from 15.1 to 14.3 with the stall converter.

up to you.

id take a auto with a stall anyday over a stick but its up to the person

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
If you are just going to drive daily and race in a straight line from light to light I say go with the auto. If you're gonna do any autocross or racing with turns then go with the manual... Personally, I like to carve up the twisty roads around my area so I would prefer a manual but I have an automatic....

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
I drive in a straight line and daily driving.. I cant ever drive an auto like that.. Puts me in another world not having to do anything but press the gas to go..

IMO autos are very very boring..

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
a new stall converter will help that much? ive been lookin at gettin a 911 converter.....

·
0 Posts
I have a auto and i boosted the line presure with my HPP3. there auto rocks now, smooth, FIRM, quick shifts now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts