S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several threads here and other sites on how to PERMANENTLY disable the Auto Headlight AND the DRL feature of my 2000 S10, instead of always having to push the override button on my dash 4 times every time I start the truck...I've done the ohm resistor (using the 2.2K ohm resistor) hack in the sensor bulb connecting wire under the passenger side dash speaker grill and the "pin snip" of the relay in the under the hood fuse block hack-both individually and in conjuction w/each other..nothing works-the headlights STILL come on in my garage or in the shade..I want this feature gone, for good!...what am I doing wrong???

-Pulling hair out here in PA

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep..seen this...doesnt work, at least 4 me...also, this hack is for the DRL feature...not the Auto headlight feature-apparently, from what I've read, they are 2 diff features...also, he didnt show this w/the truck in gear, just N or park...works UNTILL ya throw it in gear...anyone else have something that WORKS????

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried all that stuff too. It did not work.
Here's what I did on my 2000. I jacked up the back of the truck pushed the emergency brake pedal down one or two clicks and then loosen up the cable till the wheels were free no more drl's and as a bonus the brake light on the dash to indicate that the parking brake is on is not illuminated. YMMV.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,380 Posts
THere's the sticky for the AHL/DRL mods. They do work. If it doesn't work for you, I'm guessing you did something wrong.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
THere's the sticky for the AHL/DRL mods. They do work. If it doesn't work for you, I'm guessing you did something wrong.

yes..this is one of threads I looked at AND tried...and I went over both the video and my installations several times-I'm cofident I made no mistakes. only thing would be is if supplier totally screw'd up and didnt give me 2.2k resistors...I bought a 10pak, so when 1 didnt work, I tried another, thinkin a possible defctive resistor right out of the box..no go

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
did you or someone you know PERSONALLY buy this exact kit for a 99' and later S10 and can confirm that it somehow miraculously disables the Auto headlight feature?...I'm gettin' conflictin' data in my research---read in diff forums that each feature works diff lights, ie, one system when engaged turns only the low beams on and the other system turns only the hi beams on..right now, it is the low beams that come on in my garage or shade and even broad daylight occasionally......thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried all that stuff too. It did not work.
Here's what I did on my 2000. I jacked up the back of the truck pushed the emergency brake pedal down one or two clicks and then loosen up the cable till the wheels were free no more drl's and as a bonus the brake light on the dash to indicate that the parking brake is on is not illuminated. YMMV.

thanks for this tidbit....will see if an easier suggestion shows up before trying-my emer brakes arnt even hooked up cuz there's no rear dust shields left to attached to(Welcome to the Northeast, where DOTS think salt is the answer to passable roads in the Winter), so wouldnt have a clue how to "back them off" enough to shut the idiot dash light off...Fortunately, I have an inspection garage that "overlooks" this for PA State inspection ;-)

·
time to get cereal
5,664 Posts
Glad I'm in MO... They don't care about parking brakes. Mine has a handbrake and I've been experimenting with different handles so when it came to inspection time this year the cables were just kind of zip tied to the frame.

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,305 Posts
did you or someone you know PERSONALLY buy this exact kit for a 99' and later S10 and can confirm that it somehow miraculously disables the Auto headlight feature?...I'm gettin' conflictin' data in my research---read in diff forums that each feature works diff lights, ie, one system when engaged turns only the low beams on and the other system turns only the hi beams on..right now, it is the low beams that come on in my garage or shade and even broad daylight occasionally......thanks
I can't say for that brand but I just updated to Leds myself (another brand altogether) and indeed my DRL doesn't work now. But automatic lights still work. I believe simply it's because they will not run on the lower voltage that DRL supplies during daylight to the high beams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't say for that brand but I just updated to Leds myself (another brand altogether) and indeed my DRL doesn't work now. But automatic lights still work. I believe simply it's because they will not run on the lower voltage that DRL supplies during daylight to the high beams.
yeah...the DRL I can live with, if i have to..I just want those annoying auto headlights GONE

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,380 Posts
@goes2fast has led headlights. Maybe he'll chime in.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
I did the clip the pin on the relay long before my LED bulbs went in. Personally, I like the auto-on feature since so many don't turn their lights on because with the DRLs on they think their lights are on and there is talk that laws are going to change to make them mandatory.

You might want to try a new sensor as it sounds like yours is too sensitive. Another thought is to talk to an electronics Geek as he might know how to adjust the sensitivity to your liking. I don't know why GM designed them with no off function as all my German engineered cars have on, off, and auto settings but they are not as sensitive so I leave them on auto most of the time.

·
time to get cereal
5,664 Posts
Just use a potentiometer to find out what resistance turns the auto function off, then use a fixed resistor of whatever value is close to that. Mine wouldn't disable with any of the given values on the howto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did the clip the pin on the relay long before my LED bulbs went in. Personally, I like the auto-on feature since so many don't turn their lights on because with the DRLs on they think their lights are on and there is talk that laws are going to change to make them mandatory.

You might want to try a new sensor as it sounds like yours is too sensitive. Another thought is to talk to an electronics Geek as he might know how to adjust the sensitivity to your liking. I don't know why GM designed them with no off function as all my German engineered cars have on, off, and auto settings but they are not as sensitive so I leave them on auto most of the time.
yeah..the speaker grilles on both sides were replaced from junkers, so the pass side one already had another sensor in it...and yes, baffling why they mde them "passive"

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
yeah..the speaker grilles on both sides were replaced from junkers, so the pass side one already had another sensor in it...and yes, baffling why they made them "passive"
You can find NOS speaker grills on eBay, I have a set waiting for when my originals crack.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
My 99 xtreme quad mod and drl ahl went by the book as I remember, Now my 99 ZR2! Nothing works as how to's say. Got the resistor 2.2 pulled the relay blah blah. Finally just wired some BT leds that o can turn on n off with my phone BUT passenger headlight over rides it when ya put it in gear and removing the drl relay causes the drivers side light to fail in my case (unless I just turn on my bt led to white or yellow or whatever.. so got a PAINLESS quad kit, new drl relay, pulled the resistor out and just put everything back to stock-ish...now I only get 5.7v to the low beam socket which won't power anything and high beam won't come on at all (ok well nevermind went inside to start typing cane out to verify my low bean drivers side was at 10 volts , then swapped drl relay to 5.8 volts but ALAS went back outside an have no volts...none at drivers low socket...I'm hardwiringvmy bluetooth joints and calling it a day till I get another wiring harness and start over...my point is those simple tricks don't work on ZR2 B4U that is why your research is conflicting bcuz ZR2 are simply different...end. fin...also mine sucks at life apparently

1 - 20 of 22 Posts