S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im currently rebuilding my audio setup in my truck and Ive been seeing Hifonics as the "best bang for your buck". Im pretty set on using their amps but has anyone had any experience with their speakers?

Also, I'm pretty confused as to what size speakers to get...
I read the FAQ and I see that dash speakers are supposedly bad for imaging?

I understand the concept but I still want speakers in the dash. Should I use the same 4x6 speaker size that fits or should I modify the pocket to fit a differant sized speaker?

Im a bit confused with the rear as well, I read that 4x10s came originally but oval speakers are more prone to distortion. 4x10 is pretty damn oval, what size should be placed instead of the 4x10s?

I just got a set of 6" audiobaun speakers for the doors which sound "ok" for now. They were free from a friend and Im sure their better then the kickers I had in their before.

Id also like to install tweeters in the upper door panels for those highs. Once again I'm not too concerned about the imaging, I like the way it looks and Im sure itll sound better then If they wernt there at all.

I dont have alot of experience with audio so Im not too flamiliar with the brands and their reputations. Any recomendations and personal experiences with brands would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the novel.
On the plus side, I used punctuation..

·
Registered
557 Posts
Save your money for a nice set of components for your doors (6.5") and buy a nice 2ch amp to power these. If you don't like the way this sounds then upgrade your dash speakers to a nice 4x6 plate and run those off of your HU. Ditch your rear 4x10 completely and then when you get more money, install your sub(s).

Brandon

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i would agree. nice components, even a larger 4 channel to power front doors and subs. hifonics= dirty sound. a good rule of tumb is a good amp $1= 1 watt. yes you will be paying more but for the sound its well worth it.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
$1per watt is a really old way of looking at things, there are plenty of decent quality amps that will provide clean sound for well under $1 per watt . . .and hifonics may not be the best, but most people will have a hard time telling the difference (probably including most on here) between a $200 hifonics amp and a $400 JL amp when all they have is their ears to go by

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
$1/watt is acceptable if you buy products for the name or you need an amplifier that has a wide range of processing/xover possibilities. generally speaking, any amp that makes rated power with good build quality and has a lowpass xover (and preferably a subsonic filter as well) will work fine for you. as you mentioned, most hifonics amps are very affordable.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phontain said:
I understand the concept but I still want speakers in the dash. Should I use the same 4x6 speaker size that fits or should I modify the pocket to fit a differant sized speaker?

Im a bit confused with the rear as well, I read that 4x10s came originally but oval speakers are more prone to distortion. 4x10 is pretty damn oval, what size should be placed instead of the 4x10s?

quote]

Any suggestions for these questions?

Ive been leaning towards using hiphonics for my amps, kicker l7's for the subs and alpine type r for my speakers.

I already have a 2 channel running my components and dash speakers (until I can afford another hiphonics) and a ppi 2100 for my 12" subs. I plan on using the 2 channel for the components and tweeters and buying a 4 channel amp for the dash and rear speakers.
I still need to find an amp to power the 15" L7s tho.

·
blahh
1,392 Posts
If your not competeing just go with 12's cuase you'll have more space. and also its going to be a butt to get the airspace for 2 L7 15's I would say the type R door speakers will be good but there are alot better speakers than those...Names don't mean alot now...just cause Sony is big doesn't make their stuff good. ya know...well I would look around for different door speakers
BUt the subs in the 12" version would def be great and hit hard.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard to look around for other brands because everyone has good things and bad things to say about differany brands.

Whats the best way to decipher what speaker brand is better then the next?

Id rather spend more money the first time then have to buy another set later because the original set sucks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My opinion is comming from someone that works in a very high end stores. Where a JL w0 is the worst sub we carried. If your going to buy online look for local dearlers of what you are going to buy, then go and listen to it first. different skeakers do produce different sound and some people can hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts