S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm wondering about the mantapart intake manifold/ throttle body combo, and basically anything else that I could get fairly easily.....Im wondering if it will be a waste to get since I'll be getting the turbo setup from you in a bit, so I'm wondering...

What would my best options be at this moment to increase my speed

I have exhaust, full catback which I'm going to run turn downs on since my tips look like **** now, and I don't know if I like them or not so...whatever

I have a volant CAI

And I have a throttle body spacer (helix power tower) and a 180 degree thermo

What would be my best bet, I want more torque, I'm guessing I'd have to rework the exhaust for that, but I don't want to since I plan on pushing more air through with the turbo....

I'm thinking maybe that ASE chips cause I've heard that removes the limiter!!

hopefully I get my power pullies from STS, but when I called they said they didn't know anything about a group purchase BOO!!!!

Efan too, but when I had an efan on it, before the thermo blew out, I didn't notice any gain

So, what do you think would be my best bet, can you get stuff at dealer price, and what would make the best gain in your opinion....any hookups, thoughts suggestions or ideas??

Oh I have 3.73 gears too.....so I know I could go 4.10 or even 4.56, but I think that would ruin the turbo......

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpin this up...

Anyone have ANY thoughts??

Caleb

:bowdown: :sheep:

:dunno: :twak: :stickpoke :far:

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is such a thing as having too much gear.

Remember, a tall rear gear is usually to overcome an engine's lack of low-end torque. The overall weight of the vehicle should also be a consideration.

The 2.2 isn't exactly a torquing brute, but it isn't a jet engine either. there is a limit to rpm.

You haven't lived till you've floored it, gone through all the gears, and the engine is screamin', all in the distance of a measly traffic light.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, with the 4.56 gears I think the engines top speed....according to some calculations my friend and I did would be like 98......but I can only go 92 with the limiter anyways, so I'd be hitting that sooner.....I think the 3.73 gears would be perfect for the turbo since 3rd runs up to 75 and the 4th goes to the 92 limiter and then 5th, I dunno, since......92 limiter

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumpin this up, still wondering what you think man

Caleb

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess it all depends on how you want to drive.

Try driving your truck without shifting to any gear higher than third.

With a tall rear gear that's probably close to how it will "cruise".

Personally, I would rather enhance my engine's low end torque and keep the gear as low as I can get away with, while at the same time getting the performance I want.

It's kind of a trade off. Performance -VS- driveability.

It's very unpleasant to drive around with the engine wound up in the 3000-4000 rpm range. Even though redline is probably somewhere around 6000 rpm.

Unless you intend to tow it to the racetrack on a trailer, I think you should avoid ratios over 3:55. (roundabout)

But then again, it's your money.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, most of us have 3.73's or 4.10's in the rear anyways, so.......LOL

I have the 3.73's....I'm just waiting for turbo really......I might get a jet chip stage II soon, but I really wanted a chip to remove my limiter, after turbo I guess I will have to get the whole comp reflashed

Caleb

·
Registered
920 Posts
you let me know when you find the turbo. Not that i can afford it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm, well I am still used to having the available torque of a V-8.(It affects the way I think on these things)

So, I guess I am the one with a lot to learn here....(lol).

But what I said about gear ratios is still true, without the torque you have to bump up the ratio and sacrifice driveability and engine longevity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm, well I am still used to having the available torque of a V-8.(It affects the way I think on these things)

So, I guess I am the one with a lot to learn here....(lol).

But what I said about gear ratios is still true, without the torque you have to bump up the ratio and sacrifice driveability and engine longevity.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
:wtf: :shrug:

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, turbo= Lone wolf and STS......Lone wolf is making a manifold and I'm supposed to test clearances when he gets it done.....me= guinea pig MUAHAHAHA

Caleb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts