S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
500? 88 & 38 all the way!
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey man, I got another question for ya. I know you don't think very highly of JL Audio, but I might be getting a pair of 10 inch W6's and a 500/1 JL mono amp. Do you think that is too much power or just enough.

Also, if I don't get them, what is/are other brands that are comparable and sound good. Seems like you have a lot of experience so if you have any other suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks a lot, Jamie

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's not that I don't think very highly of JL. Good product, no doubt. The thing that irks me is the hype they receive, so kudos to their marketing/sales department, they've done a good job. There's other companies out there though, and no, JL is not the best. 500/1 to 2 10's will sound great...there's another misconception about power. If a sub is rated at 400w rms, you can go ahead and give it 200, and beleive it or not, it will sound fine. 400 is the most you want to give it on a regular basis. For those 2 subs, if you wanted to stick with JL, then the 500/1 is your best bet. Other companies...let's see...
Alumapro
Image Dynamics
Arc Audio
Illusion(boy I wish they were still around, hands down best subs I've ever heard, period...you can still find subs for sale though)
Phoenix Gold (not the qx or sx)
MTX (yeah, they're one of the "mainstream" but their stuff is still pretty good)

Remember, what sounds best to you is what you should get, don't go off someone elses opinion only, just look into the stuff.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my buddy had three 10W6's in his car with a bd1000 on them and they kicked @ss. I'm most likely gonna get the JL's but I'm always shopping around. Thanks bro.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That setup definitely isn't the best you can buy, in fact you could probably find better quality for less, BUT, sounds good to him, so that's what matters. Just FYI, you put any 3 decent 10's in a regular cab and a decent (500-1000 actual watts) amount of power, it's gonna be pretty loud.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, just one more question.(I think) What direction do you think I should face the subs, forward, up, angled, down??? I had my old ones facing up but I'm wondering what I should do with the new JL's. Thanks man.

·
Registered
208 Posts
angling the subs shouldn't matter. You may want to play around with them facing up or forward though, depending on the reflections you get, if may seem louder one way over the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts