S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a basically stock 4.3 with a few basic boltons (K&N,exhaust, gutted cat, TB spacer, EGR & TB mods
thats basically it
its got 145k on it
I have 3.42 open gears and 25.6" tall tires on ZQ8 rims

my question is I have a built 700r4 with full maual valve body behind it

I have a STOCK conveter from a late 80's 4X4 V8 chevy 2500 truck in it now
is this converter hurting me any do you think this is an ok converter to run in my truck
should I look for a stock 2wd V6 converter instead or what

low end my truck feels about the same as when I had the 5 spd in my truck but in the upper RPMs it just feels sluggish
I understand in an auto there will be a certain amount of power loss because of slippage but I would just really have expected a little more power getting to the ground in the upper rpms

can anyone help me here

·
Registered
507 Posts
The converter effects low rpm. maybe you're shifting it into 4th too soon?
My '94 4.3 does the same thing, it lacks top end power, it does ok in third, but in fourth it's sluggish, I think we both should look into the engine for the problem. I'm almost 100% sure it's not the converter.
A stock S series converter should not stall past 2100 rpm so if you're having problems above that rpm it's most likely the engine performance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as I stated my converter is for a V8 4x4 3/4 ton full size chevy and with that converter in my truck it stalls somewhere around 3k rpms

my truck just feels like its sluggish in all the gears above 3500 rpm and I shift at around 5k all the time when I am running it hard
I am not really thinkin the stall speed is my problem
I was more thinkin along the lines that this is a heavy duty converter and I was thinkin maybe it was just a lot heavier weight wise than one for a V6

are the V8 and V6 converters the same size and weight or is there ia differnce there as well
I would think there would be a difference

·
Registered
507 Posts
well as I stated my converter is for a V8 4x4 3/4 ton full size chevy and with that converter in my truck it stalls somewhere around 3k rpms
Wrong...a big truck usually has a lower stalling converter.
As the theory goes if you put a converter out of a light vehicle in a heavy vehicle it will stall higher.
Thats why converter companies ask you vehicle weight, it's a major factor in determining stall speed.
If your is stalling at 3000 rpm it's either not stock or theres something wrong somewhere.
Weight is not really an issue with factory converters in fact all 700's have converters with the same outside diameter, the only high stall factory converters came in corvettes and some s series trucks and that converter stalls at 2050 rpm.
So if you're stalling at 3000 you have other problems to worry about.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Probably the same, there is a sticker and a stamped number on the converters, a converter shop can tell you what the stall is if you have these numbers.
The sticker can't be seen with the converter installed though.

One important note is that the '92 converter will work in a '02 trans but the clutch material is different, it might cause engine trouble codes to come up because of harsh converter apply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts