S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Patchs McGee
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last night i'm leaving class in milford ohio and i leave the truck in the air while i'm in class. It's been about 4 hours, so i get in and drive down the street, i am driving and drop the front and back and a lil so it rides better, then next thing know all the valves get stuck open, :jawdrop: oh crap, he comes the truck to the ground, i barely make it into a gas station, which i had to drag it into... :bs: So i get out and i can hear air still coming out of a dump valve. I get out the switch box to figure which on it is, i go through all of them and find out that it's the front right. i try everything to get it closed, i will add that it's about 20 degrees out too, i "hit" it to get it finally to shut, or maybe it warmed up or something. So i sit and wait for the tank to fill up, everything seems ok. I start to drive down the street, and i notice that the front right is slowly going down. I spend about 30 minutes of a drive with the comp. on and me having to keep on hittin the switch to fill it. So i get home and it seems to be out. I go back out in an hour to check it, it's cool. So i go over to a friends to play some cards. About 3 hours later,(2 in the morning) i go out and get in the truck, i already know the tank should be full. So i hit the back up, it starts to go up, but then drops. The comp kicks on, from there nothing would happen, i tried a lil of everything. When i would dump a valve it would start to raise(weird) then drop making funny noises with the air.

Now i know everyone is going to say, do you have a water trap yes! Does your tank have a drain, yes and it was drained a week ago. Also my valves are under the bed, they are 3/8 SMC.

Please help me..this is making not like air if i can even move it in the winter, everyone else has no problems!

·
I hate you
2,241 Posts
I'd run Parker valves, my truck has been outside for the past week, with ice covering the whole truck, and I drove it this morning with no problems at all. Valves are working properly too

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
Do you have a little peice of hose comming off of the Dump Valve? SMC's dumps have to have a little back pressure to help the valve close better.. if you dont .. then add about 6" or more the the end of the dump valve..

maybe that will work

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
You running a water trap????? If not get one, I had a valve stick on me, after that fun, I swear by water traps.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Heheh werd, its the cold..How about this..dont play with the valves! Leave the truck up overnight so you dont have to fill it when its cold int he morning.

·
low life
816 Posts
Before I put my water trap on I took the fittings out of the ends of my air tanks and syphoned the water out and got about 1.5 gallons of water out of each of my 3 gal tanks. I was wondering why I had no damn play time to oh well its fixed now. And if you have a water trap on your truck make sure you drain it everycouple of days because if you dont and it fills up and freezes you wont be getting any air through it.

Jim

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
I run nitrogen and the performance is def effected in cold weather,not the nitrogen itself of course. Last winter i made the mistake of washing the truck on a colder night and one of the valves was slightly stuck open but thawed in the garage.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
ya i use c02 and that shit gets cold... the line on my bottle to my tank will sometimes be frosted even on a hot summer day

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
Emergency fill valves > All.. I loved that, I had a valve do that once. I put a make shift clamp on the airline to the valve, and gimped to a gas station, used the emergency fill valve, got it up, gimped it home. I found a decent ride pressure for the winter, ~75 PSI out front, ~ 72 out back. and basically clamped the lines, filled the bags (again, with the ER fills) and didnt deal with it the rest of the winter. granted, you cant hit switches, and you DO damage the lines (with the clamp), but it was only a small piece of line, and I never had a problem again.

·
Look When Backing Up
187 Posts
ok im new to this bag stuff, i just ordered my front kit from jason and i live in florida do you think i will have a problem with them freezing, and also..i have no idea what a water trap and check valve are can someone explain them to me and tell me if i really need to get them in florida...and if i do where do they go and the bag system? thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
i'm runnin smc's w/ no water traps and still have had no problems.. i drive it everyday in the cold weather..and have only drained it twice in 7 months since i've had it bagg'd, one time being last week...also not runnin any extra hose off the dump valve

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
no...you won't have a problem w/them in FL.

I would still run a water trap, cuz of the humidity and you don't want your tank rustin out all fast.

you put the water trap in between the comp and the tank...

go w/a viair compressor, it already has a checkvalve on it.

go to home depot/walmart/lowes etc...and you should be able to find a water trap there.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts