S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get some 9mm or 9.3mm spark plug wires for my truck, but is it worth? has anyone put some biger wires on their truck than the stock crap?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
if you can get the go for it, bigger wires are more reliable, next time I replace my wires they're going to be taylor 8 MM wires, anything over 8MM is going to be a waste, but if you can get them for around the same price, go ahead and get the bigger ones

Caleb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you increase your spark at the source, how does using a bigger wire 'increase your spark'?!?! Doesn't make sense.

All you are doing is changing the size of the wire the spark is travelling through not increasing the amount of spark you are getting.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
you're increasing the spark by decresing resistance traveling through the wire....

Caleb

·
Registered
22 Posts
in other words...your increasing the amount of spark going to the engine not coming from the coils. : )

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Stock wires have hundreds of ohms per foot resistance and the ones like Taylors have more like 50. (depends on the type of wire) You need some resistance so you don't get radio interference.

I just put the Taylor 8mm SpiroPros on mine and it's made a difference in idle smoothness and during acceleration.

Check out the link for info on them.

http://www.taylorvertex.com/spark.html

·
Get Bent
6,156 Posts
Simple electronics... just like you get more power from your stereo amp from having 14 gauge wire as opposed to 18 or 20 gauge
less resistance comes from larger wire, and wire made of better conducting metal
more current can flow... more amperes = hotter spark = more power = more fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.