S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have to replace the cpi vortec engine in my 93 s10 blazer. It seems the tbi vortecs are easier to find but can I pull the tbi off and put the cpi intake on. From what I have read in s10 forum it is only compatible with the 93 to 95 years engines.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
you can swap intakes b/t the 2. I have done it. You can use any eng older than 96. 96 was the change over to "true" vortec engine and the intake bolt patterns are different.

the TBI engs are rated slightly lower than the CPI engines. the CPI eng have better heads and a slightly bigger cam.

In my area I see more CPI than I do TBI,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM>

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The CPI intake will fit on any pre-96 motor or even newer if you switch to the pre-96 heads. The place where you run into issues is when trying to put a TBI intake on the later countershaft motors, since all TBI intakes are not clearanced on the bottom to clear the shaft, only the later ones are.

·
Registered
93 S10/ 4.3Tbi Nv3500/SAS D44’s 93 Jimmy 4dr/ 4.3Cpi 4L60e/ BDS 5”
103 Posts
What about how it works with the harness? i have a 4.3 tbi 5speed S10 pickup but ive got a 4.3 cpi auto blazer i could take the cpi motor out of and match it the the 5speeed? is that doable? or am i goin to run into issure with the harness and how it all hooks up

·
Registered
796 Posts
You will probably have to rearrange the wiring harness caused by different locations of the knock sensor and temperature sender. GM moved the sensors around on the 1987-1995 TBI (OBD I) and CPI (OBD II) engines in an attempt to obtain more accurate readings. The 1992-1995 CPI (OBD II ) engines are equipped with a crank position sensor.

You can visually compare the sensor location on the TBI engine to the sensor locations on the CPI engine.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
my 94 CPI is OBD1 and has no crank shaft sensor.

just use the CPI longblock and put your TBI intake on the eng. No worry about harness issues, or anything else. install a pilot bushing in the back of crank, install flywheel and attach 5 speed to it.

DONT over complicate this.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,329 Posts
Dead thread...feel free to start your own thread in the 262/4.3 forum.

Closed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.