S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 1997 4x4 extended cab s10 with the 4.3 vortec engine! Plans for my manual swap have changed due to some random stuff that’s not important here. I’d rather be able to drive my truck then wait for a swap to come around.
Anyway, if I want to swap another 4x4 4l60E into my s10, can I just grab any 4x4 4l60E? I know with the nv3500 I’d have to get a specific year due to slave cylinder stuff and the shifter location. I’m sure it’s similar with other years too. But as for the 4l60E I can’t find any major changes in its design that would prohibit me taking any one and putting it in my truck. If anybody has any helpful info or insight I’d love to hear it! Thanks

·
Been there Done it
10,505 Posts
None of the '93 -'97 4L60E's are directly interchangeable, except '93 and '94 and '96 and '97
98-04 S10 and Astro are interchangeable. No 4l60e from a 99 up fullsize will work in an S-series regardless of what engine it had, including the 4.3. Different torque converter, input shafts and bellhousing.

Here's a list of yearly differences:
1993: These were used in TRUCKS only. Not available in F-Bodies, B-Bodies, or Vettes

1994: Interchangeable with '93 4L60E with no modifications. The '93-'94 is a NON PWM transmission. This means that the lock up apply strategy is an on /off arrangement. It has an 11 pin case connector. Does not have PWM cast into front pump. 1 piece TCC control valve in the valve body. Plate has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve

1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year. This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump. Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognize new TCC strategy., and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up. '96 computer isn't compatible with '96 3-2 control solenoid.

1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The 3-2 downshift solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valve body casting, and separator plate.

1997: Basically the same as '96.

1998-04 Uses woven carbon torque converter clutch material which is backward compatible, but not the other way. 1997 down TC clutch will burn up in later models because of the continuously variable slippage resulting from the later PCM's lockup programming.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the '93 -'97 4L60E's are directly interchangeable, except '93 and '94 and '96 and '97
98-04 S10 and Astro are interchangeable. No 4l60e from a 99 up fullsize will work in an S-series regardless of what engine it had, including the 4.3. Different torque converter, input shafts and bellhousing.

Here's a list of yearly differences:
1993: These were used in TRUCKS only. Not available in F-Bodies, B-Bodies, or Vettes

1994: Interchangeable with '93 4L60E with no modifications. The '93-'94 is a NON PWM transmission. This means that the lock up apply strategy is an on /off arrangement. It has an 11 pin case connector. Does not have PWM cast into front pump. 1 piece TCC control valve in the valve body. Plate has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve

1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year. This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump. Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognize new TCC strategy., and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up. '96 computer isn't compatible with '96 3-2 control solenoid.

1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The 3-2 downshift solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valve body casting, and separator plate.

1997: Basically the same as '96.

1998-04 Uses woven carbon torque converter clutch material which is backward compatible, but not the other way. 1997 down TC clutch will burn up in later models because of the continuously variable slippage resulting from the later PCM's lockup programming.
So I need to get a 93’94’96’or another 97’?

·
Been there Done it
10,505 Posts
I guess I gave you too much info. 96 or 97 only will work in a 97 truck. Nothing else.

·
Been there Done it
10,505 Posts
Same interchange would apply to all S-series vehicles that have the 4.3. Bravada, Jimmy, whatever.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
On s10s

1995-1997 4L60e
1998 4L60s
1999-2000 4L60e
2001-2004 4L60e

·
Been there Done it
10,505 Posts
Are you saying that in 1998 only they pulled the electronics for just that one year?
If you are saying the years as you list them interchange you are wrong. Do some research. For example; The 95 is widely known to be a one year only model. For the later models, a couple months ago I put an 03 in my 99 w/o issues The only change GM made between 98 and 04 was to put a cheaper EPC valve in the 03-04.
AFAIK 92 was the only 4L60 because it was actually a 700R4, but GM changed the naming that year to ID L as longitudinal and T as transverse (FWD).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts