1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Layin Low since 88'
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
bling bling like WHOA
646 Posts
As long as you have the wire harness and mounting brackets if needed you should be good.

Crutchfield will sell everything you need for it if your buddy doesn't supply that stuff.

·
Makin a Comeback!
209 Posts
You can order the wiring harness from crutchfield for under $20 and it comes with vehicle specific instructions to install that model into your truck plus any spacers or anything like that to have it flush in there. Plus they offer support via phone straight to people who know what they are talking about. So do what was mentioned above and grab that harness and it's a cakewalk.

·
LOUD
604 Posts
Disconnect your battery before touching any wires... and definetely dont break the hazard switch! I had mine glued in solid in my 96 because they break off VERY EASILY!

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
use electrical tape to cover any exposed wires at the very least. also, do not twist the wires together. use butt connectors or solder them together.

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
heat shrink would be ideal along with sodering the connections.... butt connectors, and last resort use electrical tape..

i like to twist wire it up and see if it works alright before i put any hu in.. thats common sense to me though.. just be sure to remember how you had it wired before you undo the wires and take the steps above.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
if you know what you're doing you can trim all the wires, slip on heat shrink, solder, shrink the heat shrink, install it all and know it's going to work right away :p and f or good measure i always wrap the wire bundle in electrical tape to prevent chaffing

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
riiiiight.. well in my years of installing cd players, things do not always go to plan.. your buddy could come to you with a brand new cd player, and it may not even work out of the box.. etc.. would you buy used car without even knowing anything about it or seeing if it will even start? alright then..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Disconnect your battery before touching any wires... and definetely dont break the hazard switch! I had mine glued in solid in my 96 because they break off VERY EASILY!
Disconnect the battery?

I never disconnect them when installing most electronics like alarms, remote starts, head units....etc. Its not needed.

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
electrical devices can still hard a charge, if you have a wiring issue you arent aware of, you can fry an electrical component. disconnecting the battery will shut it down, and you will be safe to hook up and unhook any device.... it is true that you DO NOT have to.. but its a good idea to do so..

·
Banned
9,778 Posts
On certain gen s-10s its a good idea to drop the steering column so you dont break the hazard switch off....:p

94-97

I don't even take the whole bezel off when doing a radio in a customer's car. I just pull it back enough to fit the radio in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts