S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a Mustang fan, same motor, and Im having trouble wiring it. Its a 2 speed with 3 connections. One is the ground and the fan seems to run at the same speed with both the other connections. One should be high and the other low. Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On this fan the 3 contacts are in a row. One of the outside ones is the neg. I dont have the wires crossed because the fan is spinning in the right direction. I'll try connecting both pos wires together and see if that works. Im going to the library and see if they have any ford manuals. The wiring is my last hurdle to gettig the fan installed. Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally figured it out. The center connector is high. For some reason it wouldnt work right when I connected the neg lead directly to the battery. I hooked it to the frame this time and its working on both speeds and I can just use regular relays on it. Hopefully I'll have it all put together this weekend.

·
Dub Pimpin' Xtreme Member
73 Posts
question for you guys........do I have the right fan......?!!?!?:confused:
any help would be appreciated.....thanks guys.....btw....the connector(not pictured)has the 3 wires!if that matters...

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks similar to the one I got for a Mustang. Its working great but I had to get a HO alternator because the fan pulls so much amperage when its on high. Its good you have the wires for it. Makes ir alot easier to hook up. Heres how my Mustang fan is wired. The Taurus fan should be the same. With the fan blades facing you and the connector pointing up the left connection is + low speed, center is + high speed and right is ground. To run on high there has to be power to both + connectors. Ive got the low hooked to an adjustable thermostat/relay/50a fuse and the high is connected to the a/c clutch/relay/50a fuse. Look into getting a HO alternator. Mine cant handle it when the fan is on high. I think it draws over 40a. It melted the 30a fuse I had originally installed. I also used 10g primary wire for the fan battery connection and 12g everywhere else.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
you have the right fan. flip it upside down of what you have it right now, get a hacksaw and cut the little loop off the top of it and it should just slide right in between your stock shroud and rad. We took some self tapping screws and put them along the top edge to keep it from moving around too much. I think we used four screws.

Can't remember the wiring, vegas probably has you set straight. You have to use a 50a fuse, it's what the factory uses in the taurus's. Z10 can probably tell you the wiring, that's the same model we put in his truck.

I ran one relay to the low setting and wired it to the ignition, then the other relay we wired to the ac and a adj. thermo from auto zone. works great.

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
Alright guys, here's the fan I have, I wanna know if it'll work in there or not, it's out of a 91 3.8 v6 taurus (not the 93-95 everyone else has gotten), someone told me it'd work tho.

It has 3 wires where the plug is, black, black w/ red stripe, and black w/ yellow stripe. Down near where the motor unit itself is there are 2 blacks, I'm assuming those are the grounds and the one with stripes are the hi/low modes (it's a 2-speed fan). I just need to know which way the fan needs to be slid into the thing (if it'll work in my truck that is) and which wire is hi and which is the low setting. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Surgie said:
Alright guys, here's the fan I have, I wanna know if it'll work in there or not, it's out of a 91 3.8 v6 taurus (not the 93-95 everyone else has gotten), someone told me it'd work tho.

It has 3 wires where the plug is, black, black w/ red stripe, and black w/ yellow stripe. Down near where the motor unit itself is there are 2 blacks, I'm assuming those are the grounds and the one with stripes are the hi/low modes (it's a 2-speed fan). I just need to know which way the fan needs to be slid into the thing (if it'll work in my truck that is) and which wire is hi and which is the low setting. Thanks in advance :)
Well thats the same fan S10 THUNDER XTREME and I have. It is a 1 speed fan. If you check out the wires up further on the harness the smaller wire ties into one of the larger ones.

I cant wait till I get it installed in the blaz tho.

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
You sure it's a one speed? The guy I got it from on ebay said it was a two speed, and there's the two wires (aside from the ground) that i'm assuming are the hi/low controls. At least now I know it'll work

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Well I might be misreading your post but at the plug where it plugs into the fan is it two connectors or three? If it is two it is like mine a one speed fan. If it has three it would be a two speed fan. That should clairify it better.

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
It's three connectors, it kinda looks like this:

| |
_

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Surgie said:
It's three connectors, it kinda looks like this:

| |
_

Then you are lucky to have a 2 speed fan. I misread your post.

Cool tho. How much did ya get it for?

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
52$ shipped

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
I'm probably going to have the low to a thermostat and then the high to a switch, havn't really decided yet. I could also have the low to like a 180 tstat and then the high mode to like a 205 or something.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The high speed wire should be connected to a relay running off the a/c clutch wire. On my Mustang fan you have to apply power to both pos. wires for it to run on high.
Alot of the late model Taurus's have dual fans and they are one speed units.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
I wired up Z10's so the low was on w/ the ignition, so sitting in drive thrus and such would keep the truck cool and keep it from fluctuating in temp, then ran the a/c and thermo to another relay and ran that to hi.

His works great. Got to get another relay in there though cause it's eating the 30 amp relays easy (meltdown).

You all can get an adjustable thermo from autozone for $16. Works really good. Stick the thermometer into the rad, run one wire to the ignition then the other to the coil on the relay and ground the other side of the coil. Has a shaft that you can leave bare or go to radio shack and get a cool looking knob for.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts