S-10 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I got the compression fitting on and the radiator all installed. I don't see any leaks as of yet. I refilled it with just water to check for leaks. I figured I will just drain the radiator again and add the proper amount of coolant. I let it warm up good and it climbed to 208 while I was checking for leaks and keeping a close eye on the temp. I shut if off because I didn't want it going to hot. Already did that when the radiator puked out. I had my Actron scan tool hooked up. The gauge in the dash agrees pretty well with the tool from what I see. Within a couple of degrees. I'm letting it cool down before opening the radiator to make sure it's still full. The overflow jug didn't go down at all.

I know antifreeze is also summer coolant. Is it possible that the excess temp is just from having straight water in the system or, do I likely have another problem? Last time I changed the radiator I didn't have a problem. Of course I didn't go straight water either.

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
208 is fine as oldeerslayer said. Using water for leak testing is ok. It won't cool as efficiently as a proper mix of coolant and water. Depending on operating conditions, the water might be good enough to operate without overheating.

After testing completes, it can be a bit challenging to get to the correct mix of water and coolant though. When you drain the water, there will always be some remaining in the system. Make sure you account for the water that could not be drained when you're adding coolant/water mix for regular use.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
208 is fine as oldeerslayer said. Using water for leak testing is ok. It won't cool as efficiently as a proper mix of coolant and water. Depending on operating conditions, the water might be good enough to operate without overheating.

After testing completes, it can be a bit challenging to get to the correct mix of water and coolant though. When you drain the water, there will always be some remaining in the system. Make sure you account for the water that could not be drained when you're adding coolant/water mix for regular use.....
That was my line of thinking but I wasn't sure if cooling would be sufficient

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I have the truck finished. No leaks. I have added coolant and put about 35 miles on it with no issue. 🍺 Thanks for the advice. The compression fitting added the needed length to take the strain off of the line. I appreciate you guys.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts