S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 S10 pickup. ZR2 4x4. 183,000 miles. I picked up a new duralast radiator at Autozone. $202 for this thing. I’m putting it in and the lower cooler connection on the passenger side doesn’t want to reach. I previously had a Spectra premium. It had a fitting that sticks out. See in the picture. I had a real b of a time trying to stretch the line to fit into the duralast rad. I had to lift the bottom corner out of its hole and pull it closer. I then had to put the piece with the little clip on it onto the line to start. I then had to pull the bottom of the radiator over to start the piece into it. Finally got it. Put the radiator into the hole where it’s supposed to be. PITA because it didn’t want to reach. Had me nervous the stress was going to pull it out. On I went to the bottom hose. Got that on. Got the top cooler line on. Went to the other side got the cooler lines on. Took a look back at the lower connection and, you guessed it. It pulled out. Not happy. I can’t just leave the bottom of the radiator out of its hole. I’d be afraid it would end up in the fan and I’d have bigger problems. Should I just take it back and find another brand? Is there an easy idea for my current situation? The pics are the new radiator with the line not reaching and the old radiator showing the extension pieces spectra uses. The spectra pieces will not work with the Duralast. I’ve got it back on again. I’m yanking on the pipe and it’s not coming out. I don’t know if I trust it though. Advice?
Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Cylinder Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Rim
Gas Tints and shades Auto part Metal Cylinder

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
That's a hefty price for a replacement radiator. I'd definitely return it, since it really doesn't fit properly.
Curious why this will be your 3rd radiator. Doing some hard off roading?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's a hefty price for a replacement radiator. I'd definitely return it, since it really doesn't fit properly.
No, not at all. Last one was in 2014. All I do is drive on the highway. I really don't need the trans cooler. As much as they like to leak, I should just delete it but, at this point. This next radiator should be the last I buy for this truck. It's 20 years old. 14mpg. No bueno with today's prices. I don't imagine there is a whole lot of pressure in those lines. Maybe I could cut the cooler line and lengthen it with hose and clamps if I can't find a suitable replacement? If so, do you think I would need to flare the ends or would enough hose bridging the two be fine?

Editing this post to say, I can't find any radiators that have those extension pieces aside from an even more expensive model at Rock Auto. More Information for LILAND GLOBAL 1826AA

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
I know from experience that a hose clamped onto unflared lines will, over time, blow off. Repeatedly. Take the time and do it right.
Even on the highway you do need a cooler.
A compression flare will hold and will add a bit of length. I'd put in in a bit back from the end. Retighten it after a couple days.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most radiators at AutoZone are Spectra Premium. They are relabeled Duralast.
Hmm, well in any event. This will not reach and the old Spectra part number isn't available anymore. The new part number doesn't seem to have that so unless I buy that $248 aluminum one (don't really want to) looks like I need to modify the line like Oldeerslayer says. I'm grateful for his experience and advice because I definitely want to fix it right the first time

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
If you're paying for a new part that should fit and doesn't, then time to return it. If you're not doing anything special with your truck, then I might suggest getting a used rad from the junkyard. You can clean it and pressure test it off the vehicle to ensure proper function. Then should be an easy fit.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're paying for a new part that should fit and doesn't, then time to return it. If you're not doing anything special with your truck, then I might suggest getting a used rad from the junkyard. You can clean it and pressure test it off the vehicle to ensure proper function. Then should be an easy fit.....
I'm wondering if the trans shop took any slack (if there was any) out of the line when they rebuilt the trans because it should reach. Even the AC Delco radiator I see at rock auto looks like it has the same fittings. I would think that duralast would fit or, they'd have had a lot of returns by now

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
My bad, I meant compression UNION. It doesn't have to be any high pressure design. The fluid in the cooling lines is under relatively low pressure. @Tranzman can tell you exactly, but I'm under the impression it's under 50 psi.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bad, I meant compression UNION. It doesn't have to be any high pressure design. The fluid in the cooling lines is under relatively low pressure. @Tranzman can tell you exactly, but I'm under the impression it's under 50 psi.
Awesome. It's funny. I was just on youtube looking for info about this. A guy was doing his water pump on his blazer. He found that the previous owner must have done a hose repair as I was originally thinking. He was kind of moving it around and the hose would move. Loose clamp apparently. He used a compression union he bought at the auto parts store. I took two screenshots. Is this the part you would use to do yours? The guy on the video said it didn't leak. I only need to gain a 1/4 inch or so. This looks like it would do that and no flaring involved. (I've never flared a line)

The video is here if anyone is interested. I thought it was quite a coincidence. Didn't look like this blazer has the snap fittings like my truck though. Maybe it was an older blazer.

Attachments

·
Randy
825 Posts
I have seen pressures as high as 125+ on the dyno. most do not go over 100psi. that is why you don't want plain fuel hose on a trans-cooler line. Power steering return hose works well.

·
Randy
825 Posts
Awesome. It's funny. I was just on youtube looking for info about this. A guy was doing his water pump on his blazer. He found that the previous owner must have done a hose repair as I was originally thinking. He was kind of moving it around and the hose would move. Loose clamp apparently. He used a compression union he bought at the auto parts store. I took two screenshots. Is this the part you would use to do yours? The guy on the video said it didn't leak. I only need to gain a 1/4 inch or so. This looks like it would do that and no flaring involved. (I've never flared a line)

The video is here if anyone is interested. I thought it was quite a coincidence. Didn't look like this blazer has the snap fittings like my truck though. Maybe it was an older blazer.
That one picture shows a heck of a kink in the hose. That will cut off cooler flow. You definitely need cooler flow especially on the highway with TCC engaged. low or no cooler flow will burn up the transmission in as little as 65 miles. Trust me I have seen the carnage...

Reactions: boomer_106

·
Randy
825 Posts
Do you recommend the compression fitting over the hose and clamp method?
YES!!! I have done that in the past, now i own a flaring tool and just put a small bubble flare on the tube that has been cut off. Every tube that didn't have a way to stop the slip eventually slipped off and spewed fluid everywhere at the most in opportune time...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES!!! I have done that in the past, now i own a flaring tool and just put a small bubble flare on the tube that has been cut off. Every tube that didn't have a way to stop the slip eventually slipped off and spewed fluid everywhere at the most in opportune time...
Ok, good. the only caveat is, there appears to be about 1 1/2 inches between the flared ridged on the cooler line that snaps into the radiator and where the line starts bending downward. Is that enough room to fit a compression fitting into? I can't really tell how far the line goes into the union. In the guys video, it looked like he cut pretty close to the radiator flare. I guess as long as you have enough, that's the main thing. I really don't want to screw up and end up worse than when I started.

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
They only use up about 1/2" of line and add about as much because of the center section.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Only tangential to the OP. However, I am on my 7th radiator in my 2002 2.2L. That is original + 6 – from AutoZone. The AutoZone units all had a liftetime warranty. All, or almost all, were Spectra, Spectra Premium, or Duralast. There have been multiple failure modes. The 1st replacement occurred in 2006, and they have been quite evenly-spaced over time. 2 – of those replacements occurred since 9-2018 when I overheated the engine, which likely degraded the headgasket and possibly warped the head. Not certain there are any other obvious issues to explain the radiator failures besides road salt and poor quality in construction. At least 1 – of the radiators appeared to develop a leak in the very bottom of the “coil” due to corrosion.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only tangential to the OP. However, I am on my 7th radiator in my 2002 2.2L. That is original + 6 – from AutoZone. The AutoZone units all had a liftetime warranty. All, or almost all, were Spectra, Spectra Premium, or Duralast. There have been multiple failure modes. The 1st replacement occurred in 2006, and they have been quite evenly-spaced over time. 2 – of those replacements occurred since 9-2018 when I overheated the engine, which likely degraded the headgasket and possibly warped the head. Not certain there are any other obvious issues to explain the radiator failures besides road salt and poor quality in construction. At least 1 – of the radiators appeared to develop a leak in the very bottom of the “coil” due to corrosion.
Any chance of electrolysis in your case?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts