S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to hear the impressions of anyone that has subscribed to the satellite radio service. Is it worth the money? Is the reception any good? what kind of receiver are you using?

Let me know!

Rick

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
XM is really nice. im just waiting for a more hidden antenna for it.... they look kinda $hitty right now when you're trying to shave everything on the truck :/

but XM is awesome ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 2 cents. Why pay for radio. How much time do you spend in your truck. If you are like me I spend maybe 8 hours a week in mine thats a long week. And also xm radio has only a few stations that are not commercial free and once these stations realize the marketing in commercials they will probably switch too. Depending on what your music preference is your choice for commercial free listening may be narrowed. I just dont think I can pay for something I can get for free. But if you want to pay a monthly fee go ahead, to each is own.

·
In a matter of time...
342 Posts
backkkk from the dead because im curious as to who has this and what headunit.

its now commerical free.

why pay for something thats already free? do you have cable tv?;-)

L

·
0 Posts
XM is straight bangin...a must for any music lover or multi music listener

·
use to drag
156 Posts
Listen to cds bro. I just turn on the radio to listen to a basketball game, or weather. I go sit in the driveway, or drive around for hours just to listen to music. My family doesn't understand, lol.

·
In a matter of time...
342 Posts
orangesonoma said:
i use a stock 99 s10 head unit in my s10...with the rf pioneer unit...i love it...and as far as the "ugly" antenna...i put mine in my bed...cant even tell i have it....why pay for it...dont we all pay for cable tv in out houses...xm is great if you travel...and if you listen to all types of music...

how much was the setup? from what i understand on xm's website, its like $250 for a new xm compatable alpine headunit, then $250 for the alpine tuner, then $100 for an antena??

·
Registered
537 Posts
i have a sony DRN-XM01 XM receiver for sale, just the RECEIVER, i sold the cables and antenna already....its works fine and cosmetically has tiny blemish on the bottom, wont ever be seen anyways.....id say its like 9/10 though....here are some pics....if you want it let me know.. i only have teh receiver once again

·
Clean N' LOUD!!!
163 Posts
Never tried XM but love my commercial free Sirius wouldn’t give it up for anything. I have a Here 2 Anywhere unit and it is in my ashtray all wired up clean looks good there. As for the sat antenna it doesn’t look great on the truck but well worth it for not having to listen to 30 min of commercials to 15 min of music.

I have xm radio, it’s alright. They kinda play the same thing over and over. Kinda like MTV
I think the only resin it seems this way is lack of commercials so you just get through play lists quicker and more divided up music so if something is repetitive just change the channel. IMHO

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
xm is awsome. I listen to lots of types of music, and they have it ALL. You will save money on cds, i have spent TONS of money on cds, now i buy very little, only my favorte artists. The newest plus is all the channels are commercial free that only play music..

Another big plus, in about another six months when the FCC and the goverment due to pres. bush pretty much takes are rights away from freedom of speech and is now in effect , this dosent apply, so when you cant even say "tit" or "shit" on the radio, the artists songs are all unedited except when its a brand new release and only one single has bein sent out for radio play, all the rest is pure, unfiltered , digital music. Enough said. SCREW FCC AND RIAA!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
interesting enough, the head of the fcc is the secretary of state's son.

and in an issue of 2600 a couple issues back, they mentioned a way to possibly get xm service for free.
essentialy when they send out the signals for the discontinuation of service, they send it out for only about a month. after that, they figure your stereo should have gotten the shutoff notice. if it didnt, it should continue getting service, so basicaly, the idea is, cancel your service, leave your xm receiver off for a month or two, hook it back up and try it out. if you cancel anyway, its definitely worth the try.

as for the antenna, i have a bed cover, and dont believe it would go through that, any other ideas for a hidden install? if you guys want, i can retype the information about xm from 2600 some time, not doing it now, but odds are none of you all are on right now anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2004 S10 has the OEM 6 CD Changer Receiver. My car manual mentions XM radio. Also, I saw the same receiver on display in the showroom receiving XM radio. Does anyone have the OEM receiver setup for XM? Is this something the dealer needs to setup?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts