S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone has thought of pulling the A/C off the 2.2 and replacing it with a supercharger. Unfortunatly i know crap about superchargers. I think that this would be feasable. Maybe the problem would be where to put the intercooler?!? I dont think you even need an intercooler, but it just helps with extra hp. Maybe i could go pull a charger off of a totalled cobra, lightning, grand-prix GTP, etc. I know that one of the main problems would be finding some mounting brackets so it would mount properly, and the existing belt fitting the pull system. Can anyone tell me if this would be worth my time or not, and what probs i could run into?

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How so..... like i said im a dumdum when it comes to superchargers. Someone explain.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
They wont fit on our engines. You need a centrifugal s/c not a roots or eaton type.. If you wanted to use one it would take way more work and money to make it worthwhile.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
a centrifugal supercharger bolts up like the A/C or alternator does..

A roots blower, like used on the Cobra, or GTP, are bolted onto the intake manifold..

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.... yeah that makes a lot of sense. Hmm.... could i just buy a centrifugal charger on the internet and slap it after modifying the brakets

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
and after making a custom intake and all the piping, i dunno if even that could work otherwise everyone would be doin it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
i remember we had a big discusion to this very idea in 2.2 section

sounded super simple in theory but in reality it wasnt great was the general consensus of the thread if i remember right

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how could it not be. If you regulate it to about 7lbs boost then it would be just fine for the engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you could make the brackets, intake tubing, and design a belt system, you can supercharge almost anything. You just need the centrifugal supercharger, an FMU, and an add'l in-line fuel pump. Whether all the money and time is worth it on a 2.2 is another story... most supercharger setups that are properly designed and non-intercooled give you 40-50% more horsepower. So on a 2.2, your talking like another 60 horse if your lucky, and even so...thats still lousy total power... might as well shoot it with a 75 shot and save some loot.

later

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well its hard to regulate a superchager inless you put a bypass valve on which would be even more work!! The supercharger is ran off of a belt, the faster the belt turns the more air is forced through the supercharger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts