S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-ford driver-
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my trans has been missing 2nd and 4th gear for almost a year now. it doesnt bother me too bad other than it is my winter beater and winter is coming quickly so i will be driving it everyday. i guess my question is, can i swap to a chevy th350 without any issues (or for that matter a th400)? what would need swapped, wiring or computer issues? the truck is a 93 with the 4.3l and a 700r4 i believe. i have a th400 laying here at the shop that i know is in good shape and can have a th350 easily as well. i dont want to sink a ton of money into this truck so cheap is good.

·
-ford driver-
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? i know the bell housing pattern is the same, but other than that will i need a different flex plate? converter? any wiring issues or speedometer issues? id like to do this asap if possible just need to know if it will work.

·
"Stroke Me"
1,147 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 94 SS with a 4L60E and it doesn't have reverse. I'm gonna be swapping a TH350 in it this week so I will let you know what I have to do.

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
TH350 falls right in. Uses the stock 96 manual trans crossmember

·
-ford driver-
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thats great! so there are no computer issues or speedo issues? i'll look forward to your results super stroker.

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
Does 92 have electronic speedo??? If so you may have to get a cable to electric converter and a signal converter.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
a 350 in place od a 4L60E aint gonna work the ECM or PCm is gonna freak with no electornic transmission in there

if you have TBI 4.3L then you can run the th350 no problem other than VSS needing ot be figured out

flexplate and starter is no big deal

if your v8 engine is 86 up then you use your 4.3L flexplate,
and a starter for an 80s caprice monte elky camaro firebird or whatever that has smaller 153 tooth flexplate like the 4.3 one is, straight across bolt holes in nose cone.

the 4.3 one is staggered pattern but is made for 153 tooth plate

staggered bolt nose wont work for small plate on a v-8 though, wil be too far away from plate teeth, so the 4.3L staggered nose is unique to the 4.3 and 3.8 and 200 v6 engines

a th350 from a 73-up 2wd truck or van with 9" tail is the same length as a 700r4

not a car th350

those are 3" shorter(have 6" tail)

wont work without driveshaft mods

the regular length th400 trannies 2wd are same length overall as the 700r4 and 9" th350 trannies, close enough to work, but are 31 spline output, so need a 400 yoke to use it, from a car or 2wd truck that is slip yoke style, many trucks with 400 trans were bolted on style yoke though, like our 79 C-20 pickup is.

it has slip in the driveshaft middle near the carrier bearing, just behind it., instead of slipping in the trans tail like normally seen,

Reactions: Bossman79

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
I never had a 4.3L with a 153 they all had the 168 tooth external balance flywheel with internal balance damper on the front. And depending on the block like all the ones I've built they had the option for a strait or staggered pattern. And yes the 350 is a strait drop in. Might have to nip the side wings to clear fire wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts