S-10 Forum banner

anyone scrapin' frame.. please read

2K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  xtremer-pxl 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone scrapin' frame.. please help

Hi all........ to anyone that is scrapin' frame....... Do you have anything protecting your gas tanks from sparks. Are the sparks near the gas tank something to be concerned about? I am baggin' my truck in the spring, and I will be scrapin' frame, but I am worried about sparking right beside my gas tank. I don't particularly want to go to a fuel cell, so I was thinking about maybe having some kind of a shield made around my gas tank to protect it. Any suggestions or comments?? Thanks everyone:thumbup:

#3 ·
thanks tony......... what I'm talking about though is doing a spark show through the parking lot or something........ I'm concerned about the sparks mixing with the gas tank. (hope this doesn't sude rude) :D

#5 ·
thanks tony...... way to scare a girl
No, seriously though, I know that when I do it, my leaf hangers will be the lowest point and that's gonna be what I'm scrapin' until they wear out. But, again, my only concern is that if there was ever a gas leak, I would be in big trouble
I'm gonna try and see about making some kind of a shield just for some piece of mind and hopefully if my gas tank ever does leak, that might help

Any idea how hard it is to do a fuel cell?? I want to stay away from it if possible, but it might be the best idea if I'm gonna be scrapin' everywhere. Have you seen the new titanium drag blocks that are out?? They look sweet but they're $60 US a set and only last for 10 runs.

#6 ·
If you're worried about it, I'd just get a piece of checkerplate, and either weld or bolt it up to the frame. Or a piece of plastic would also do the job. If you make a hanger or tab to mount to the underside of the bed, and bend the piece of metal/plastic around the tank and attach it to both the frame and the underside of the truck. That ought to take care of any worries you may have. Later.

#7 ·
Some input

Well my truck lays flat on the frame rails, and my gas tank is flush with the frame. I have to say this... now I don't drag much but one thing I always worry about is the gas tank. I've got plenty of scrapes on the plastic shield for it. I've never dragged the tank before but all it would take is a rock or something uneven and I'm sure a hole could be put right in it. If you really want to drag your truck a lot a fuel cell is the safest way to go. I was planning on putting one in mine this winter but i'm selling my truck. Not saying you can't drag with the stock gas tank but to me it's just not safe enough.

#9 ·
well, there was 2 different gas tanks, one thats bigger and hangs below the frame, and a smaller one that doesn't... so check to see which one you have first :), and 2nd is the y-pipe and driveshaft crossmember if its an x-cab.

I think the best solution is grind plates.. cause you dont want to drag the actual frame too much anyway

my .02

#10 ·
dont worry

It's hard as hell to put a hole in a gas tank. Ive scraped the tank protector a million times, no trouble. Also, gas doesnt explode like people think i does. I mean, it is explosive, but the main thing is the fumes are explosive. Youll be ok...Jst drag it and be happy

#11 ·
I was planning on changing the cross member anyways. I think I am going to leave the y-pipe and try to be careful with it. If I happen to bang it up, then I'll worry about replacing it.
Does anyone remember who makes the lowered cross-member for the 5-spd? I know there was only one company who did, and I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Thanks:D

#15 ·
why dont we have any women like this in america? i think im gonna have to venture north, eh?

#16 ·
thanks you guys...... you're all so sweet

I hear that a lot actually, and to be honest with you, you're not gonna find much up here either. I am one of the only girls that's in it that much here. Slowly there are more and more girls getting into it, but not to the extent that I am. And, the only girls that I have seen into doing up their rides have all driven ricers.:bah: I doubt you will find another girl draggin' frame where I live. :D I love being one of the guys though......... and I can't wait to bring my truck to the states shows next year !! :thumbup:

#18 ·
If ya ever venture down to so-cal i could fab ya up one

See user title
<~~~~~

#19 ·
Actually, I am planning a cruise to socal in 2004. Can't go next year 'cause I'll be bagging the truck and will have no money left. Definately going the year after! Thanks for the offer though. ;) :D
Moving to BC probably wouldn't be a good plan either, although my parents have always wanted to live there. :D I'm sure some girls will start to get into it soon enough, just be patient. :p

#20 ·
sonomagirl- i've been reading through the post and have some thoughts for ya. the y-pipe can be raised closer to the tranny. i've been quoted a price of $80 and the guy could bring it inline with the lowest point on the tranny which is the slave cylinder which is about level with the frame and since theres a skid plate under the motor, your good to go. theres a gp going on for the carrier bearing cross member, this is a good idea as well, it may raise the bearing helping with pinion angle. fuel cells can get gotten under $200 from summit, wouldn't think it'd be too hard to connect up and would get ride of that S-10 lean some people have. not sure to what bag set up ur doing, if your having something fabbed up i'm sure they can throw a fuel cell in there, which would help with traction being weight is over the center. or if your going bolt on, the new airlift 3 link looks nice (some welding required)

#21 ·
as far as scraping framne goes, do rocks count?

#22 ·
thanks stealthx. I am gonna wait to do the y-pipe until I actually bang it up enough that it needs replacing. (want to avoid any extra costs). ;) As far as the cross-member goes, I am already planning to get it, it's just a matter of when. I might go for the group purchase, but I have to wait until after Christmas and then see if it's still on. As far as what setup I am going with, I am mixing and matching alot! I am going with Easy Street Bags, Bad Boy valves, various fittings from a company called Pisco, and I have a guy in New York that is fabbing all the brackets and step notch and bridge for me as well as getting a 4-link made for me. I am trying to get the best setup by using the best of what I know. ;) :D

And yes, ONEBDGMC, scrapin' rocks counts :D

#23 ·
good luck with it all. i hear ya the $ issue, i just got a new truck and just have plans to make it a clean/low/fast daily driver. easystreet is pretty good from what i hear, just remember to get all d.o.t. approved fittings and lines, some 1/2 line would be nice. just keep the front up a lil when your draggin :thumbup:

#24 ·
Ya, Easystreet is pretty good. I like their bags and valves. I'm gonna get the brackets, notch and 4-link fabbed though. I don't know, I just think weld-in will be better. Everything is gonna be D.O.T. I know that already from doing my b/f's bags. I have been around this stuff for a while, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice :D Don't worry, it's all under control ;) :D

#26 ·
woohhoo

frame scrapin 4x4 member

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.