·
Med School member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about it

·
Registered
691 Posts
I monoleafed my stock leafs for drop..... not the best thing in the world to do unless you at least have airshocks to fill with air to raise the frame up off the axle... it will lay on the axle if you dont!!! I didnt remove my bumpstopbrackets so it is resting on the cut bumpstops, and rides like all hell, but i dont care because i am bagging it with a notch and all....

·
Registered
691 Posts
forgot to mention.... that is with 3" blocks, and it lays out because the leafs are so weak at that point that they flatten out quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
the zq8 leafs are the same leafs as regular s10s with the 4 leaf spring pack but with the leaf above the overload pulled. if you want to do it just pull the leaf above the overload out or keep that leaf and take out the leaf from under the longest leaf up top. Ride was about the same on the customers trucks i did this for. you pull the leaf above the overload out it will drop it 1-1.5 inches. if you keep that leaf and pull the leaf under the longest leaf it will drop it 2.5-3 inches. make sure to not pull both. also you need your overload leaf

tony

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx so much Tony. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear

how easy is it to pull either the second leaf, or the one under the overload?

what is invoved. I dont have any air tools. But I do have jack stands. Can you help me?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
you take the leafs out get c clamps clamp the leafs together and take out the center bolt. you will have to retread the bolt becasuse the threads wont be long. when you take it off you will see what im talking about

tony

·
14,970 Posts
Here's my .02
I did this. it was easy. One of the problems i can recall is on my truck the first aligment bolt broke when tring to remove it, and the 2nd one just spun when i turned it so i had to cut it off.

Other than that no major problems.

Also afterwards my wheel hop was crazy but Tony suggested that i replace my stock shocks and it would go away. so far i haven't done that yet (i just added traction bars):D

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys I did it. I am now running a zq8 pack instead of a stock 4 leaf pack.

it was very easy. I had one of my friends help me...it went like this

we put the truck on stands, unbolted the U-bolts, lowered the rear end, grabed the head of the anchor bolt (middle of leafs) then grabbed the bottom end, took it out no problems, unbolted shocks, then torched the clamps holding the leafs on the ends. Took out that leaf (above overload) put it all back together, and was on my way. It took about 2 hours total.

It dropped the rear end down a littl less than an inch, but it will settle. I'll measure it again next week.

thanx guys for all your help...especially tony!

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the one closest to the overload. it's now a zq8 2 pack, and did exactly what I wanted it to!
thanx guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts