S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1996 Sonoma 2.2L 5 speed
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has ever powdercoated the newer style zq8 wheels and what they looked like when done? Been thinking about doing mine in black (my truck is black).

·
Mini Truck Addict
182 Posts
I'm Co-Owner of a powder coat company and I can tell you powder coat will look 10x better than paint and last much longer. Aluminum is a little but more tricky, but if you find a good company they will turn out great. Don't limit yourself to just plain black. There are more than 50 different blacks to choose from. If you have any more questions let me know and i'll do what I can to help.

http://www.custompowderkote.com

·
1996 Sonoma 2.2L 5 speed
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen them polished an painted black before. Polished looked nice as hell.
Anyone have any pics of polished new style ZQ8 wheels? I may just go that route. Any tips on stripping the clear coat off the wheels?

·
355 member
13,485 Posts
not powdercoat, but maybe just to give you an idea. This is mine like 2 years ago

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have an old single wheel sitting around that was crashed into a curb. I recently stripped the clear and started to work on sanding the machining texture from the spokes and then polishing them. Ive got to get back on it.
I want to respray the insets a little darker. I like for them to be more charcoal or dk gray than the light gray they come stock.
I also dont want the spokes to be too chrome looking, just a tad brighter.
This one is my test dummy. I got to get back on it tho

·
Mini Truck Addict
182 Posts
Factory wheels have clear powder coat one them. If you live anywhere they put salt on the roads paint is not going to hold up. You can polish them up and get them powder coated clear. Most powder coat clears have a 5000hr salt spray rating.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you for mentioning that. At work my boss has a Sterling triaxle that

was driven through/delivered wet cement. In some parts of the country they

literally fill a dumptruck with wet cement and drive it to where it needs to be

delivered. Needless to say, the nice Alcoa wheels are trashed. To get them

clean, we had to sand/steel wool them down to bare aluminum and polish

them. You would not want bare aluminum as you can polish them but they

will get dirty/ pit very quickly. The clearcoat protects big time- having 8

outside/visible big rig wheels to polish really sucks!

·
LS1 powa!
2,173 Posts

That looks pretty damn nice!
I bet it would look tits with the silver part polished, and keep the gray as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts