S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted any of these parts to match the color of your truck: door handles, tail gate handle, front grille, or mirrors (when i get them in)? How hard is it to get these parts out. What all is involved?:confused:

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
the black mesh grill is part of your grillshell....just painted diff color...so that can't come off separately, unless you cut it out...

me personally don't know about any of the handles, or mirrors tho..lol

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
y2k xtreme said:
the black mesh grill is part of your grillshell....just painted diff color...so that can't come off separately, unless you cut it out
yeah.....i was hoping that someone has or if i could get someone to tape it off and have it painted.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:

yeah.....i was hoping that someone has or if i could get someone to tape it off and have it painted.
yes all your handles and the mirrors should come off ,now for the aplication i dont know how but they will come off, as for taping them off if thats all your painting that would be a beyotch and your still better off taking them off , also try a bodyshop if your getting the parts painted by a body shop they should be able to remove the parts for you

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i got my handles and tailgate handle painted, the shop had to take all the handles out sand primer base and clear them costed me 125 for all 3, have had done half a year with no chippage or anything,

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xtreme21 said:
i got my handles and tailgate handle painted, the shop had to take all the handles out sand primer base and clear them costed me 125 for all 3, have had done half a year with no chippage or anything,
kool kool...that's what i was wanting to find out.......i was wondering (in the post above) if somehow i could tape off just the grille part....i wasn't talkin bout the handles and the mirrors

·
Registered
389 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:

kool kool...that's what i was wanting to find out.......i was wondering (in the post above) if somehow i could tape off just the grille part....i wasn't talkin bout the handles and the mirrors
You can tape of the grill but remember the better and more complete the tape job the easier and cleaner it is going to be to paint it and have it look good. I got a can of aluminum color spray and good exterior clear and painted the hell out of it. it looks great.

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nthdegreepower said:
You can tape of the grill but remember the better and more complete the tape job the easier and cleaner it is going to be to paint it and have it look good. I got a can of aluminum color spray and good exterior clear and painted the hell out of it. it looks great.
i think i'll just let the pros do it when/if i get em to do the handles and mirrors

·
Registered
389 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:

i think i'll just let the pros do it when/if i get em to do the handles and mirrors
The grill is actually really easy just do a good tape job
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually my bros truck was done with the door handles in. They used a special tape that he got behind that little rubber seal in the door. We took the wiper cowl, and rear tailgate handle off to get painted. The mirrors were painted on the truck as well. Depends who you take it to and how much experience they have.

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didn't even think to do the wiper cowl....not a bad idea if i'm gonna paint everything else........i still think i would rather pay the money to have someone else do it instead of taking a chance and messing something up.....thanx all

·
Ride'n So-Low
13 Posts
i'm a painter at a body shaop and it is real easy to paint handles and tailgate handle, did it on my truck, tape the dorr handles off with fine line tape, the tail gate u can use reg. tape, make sure u scuff them really good, i mean really good. or the paint will peel. spray a light coat of primer any primer will work, then the first coat of paint put on lightly, then put more on as u go. 3 complete coats, the clear twice. then u'll be fine.

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
watch4sparks said:
spray a light coat of primer any primer will work, then the first coat of paint put on lightly, then put more on as u go. 3 complete coats, the clear twice. then u'll be fine.
what kinda paint would you rec.......should i go to a paint shop and have them mix me up some paint ?........i'll still just prolly wait and get a pro to do it cuz i don't trust my skills:(

·
Ride'n So-Low
13 Posts
go some where, where they make color match paint, like a automotive color supply and have your paint made in a spray can. a body shop probably be xspencive.

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
watch4sparks said:
go some where, where they make color match paint, like a automotive color supply and have your paint made in a spray can. a body shop probably be xspencive.
this is sounding more and more like i'll be able to do it myself....anyone wanna help me out....i asked about it before but i fogot what it is....the code for the indigo blue is 9792 right?...no big deal tho, i could always call the dealer and find out....thanx for the help

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Door handle removal

Good jesus, removing the handles wasnt all that bad, but gettin the rods and the rod clips back on was the hard part, i didnt think i was ever going to get the drivers side back on right, good luck, just take your time and if you tape them off make sure you do it well, overspray will go everywhere.

Nathan:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have a chrome grill you can also take acetone and clean off the greyish paint to get to the chrome under it. I done this on my blazer grill and looks close to a wider billet insert. You can also do this under the hood where the grill mounts and wipe off the grey to get chrome.:D

Dc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts