S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase the boston acoutic pro series with the 6.5's in the doors and 2 tweeters in the dash. That im running off of a 200 watt amp and a sony x-ploid cd unit. Im getting some good clear sound over CD but the radio sucks a bit..But are any of you guys running a setup similar to this? As far as im concerned they just relly arent loud enough at all..I know switching to an 300-400 watt amp would help but how much would it help? Im just a little discouraged that i sepnt almost 1k and its not putting out what i expected. Any imput would be helpful. Later :bash:

·
audio, video, and a boatload of knowhow
12 Posts
I am not running with Bostons, but I install them regularly. You really NEED to put more power on them. MORE power will clear up the sound and you will be able to get so much more volume out of them. Did i mention that you need more power. I don't want this to sound like a flame but those speakers can take a lot of abuse. You could also try replacing one set of tweeters for a good 4" midrange in the dash. It looks like you have a big frequency gap from where the 6.5's roll off and where the tweeters pick up. Good luck.

I just saw that you already have a 200 watt amp, I originally missed that part(thought you were running them off your head unit). Is that 200 continuous or max power? I still think that if you add a 4 in the dash you would get what you are looking for.
Teddy

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i have a 200 watt amp on em for now but i want to hear the highs out side the truck ya know what i mean?:evilg: i have the tweet's in the dash now but i could put in some boston 4x6's and that would give it a little more difference but right now people are telling me that i dont really need those, but just a stronger amp like a 400 watt..

·
1st Gen Member
215 Posts
I have a brand new set of Boston Pro 6.5s installed in q-forms kicks pushed by a JL 300/2. This amp pushes more than 150W per channel RMS. My tweeters go into protection all the time, and I am somewhat dissatisfied with the setup. It sounds great, but then the tweets cut off. Before I have had another set of BA Pro 6.5s and a MTX 275X (65x2), and a RF 500a2 (125x2) hooked to them with the same problem. I can't seem to feed them enough clean power.

BTW, I have Boston 4x6s in the dash too, but they are attenuated just to raise the sound stage a bit.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
I have a set of Boston 4" componants in my custom kick panels,a set of Boston 6.5 coaxals in my doors, and a set of boston 4" midranges in my dash. Each set is powered by a separate Kicker ZR120. In the back of my truck i have a single Kicker L7 15 solobaric in a 5 cu ft ported box. It is wired at 1ohm off a Planet Audio VectorD. 1200 watts. My highest SPL is a 144.9 legal on the dash,151.3 outlaw on the dash,and a 167.8 in outlaw portwars! My setup sounds pretty clean as long as the gains are turned way down! The main thing i forgot to mention is my headunit,a Premier 930R! The best looking cd player pioneer has made yet!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YESSSSSSS!!! Well i just called sound advice who put the system in my truck and they have a 60 day period that i can change out this amp with a more powerfull one, they say they can get me a 400watt amp for around 400 dollars (200 dollars rebate for the amp i have now) im stilll open to any comments from you guys who acurallly know stuff about amps..heh, ill prolly go down monday should i just get the 400 watt or what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the others. I have the 6.53 setup and you notice a good set of 4's and 1's in the dash. There's not a lot of bass from those 6" mids, but the overall sound is nice.
The Boston's do need power though. I'm probably only giving them 75 per side and they could handle 3 times that I'm sure.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! i had a friend of the family come over today after i told him that my system all though was clear was as loud as a stock set up if not less.. well to put it short he adjusted some buttons on the amplifier and that ***** screams!!!! wow, i might upgrade to a more powerful amp but the difference...****...it took my breath away!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts