S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Same Poop,Different Scoop
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres one in the paper and i called and the lady that owns it knew what she was talking about on it but she says they are a PITA to work on and parts are expensive, seemed like she was being totally honest about everything, and bla bla bla..

anyhoo it seems those things have some problem called "hot start" where they only start up when cold.

anyone have any input?

15,113 Posts
Ive never heard of a hot start problem, but that doesnt mean much.

Im guessing this is a 3rd Gen RX7?

Yes, parts are generally expensive, and althought rotory motors have less moving parts, it does require a certain amount of knowledge to rebuild one. Just be cautious of high mileage ones like anything else, but particually cause of wear on the turbos.

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i bet that would help

its a 1990 GTU NA, 2nd gen

she said an injector is leaking, and kept saying it had "electrical problmes" but when i asked her what problem she said the hotstart thing and there some temp sensor that causes it, i googled it and it seems more of a fuel prob than electrical.

·
11,199 Posts
YellowNoma said:
theres a dude on this forum (elec87) that owns an rx7, a couple camaros and an s10. you can try asking him :dunno:

heres his thread http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192176
Yeah, but if I remember correctly that one has an LS1 in it. Guess he probably knows about the stock ones though. That's a later model too.

·
NOT AN ADMIN!!
2,230 Posts
my buddy has one with the hot start problem, if you dont let it warm up before you drive it and if u dont let it sit for a minute or 2 before you shut it off next time you try and start it it will foul the spark plugs, this happens often you have to take out the fuse for the fuel pump take out the top 2 spark plugs crank it over let the gas blow out of the chambers then you can put it together and it will start fine, it takes less then 2 minutes to take the plugs out

15,113 Posts
devilman13xx said:
yeah i bet that would help

its a 1990 GTU NA, 2nd gen

she said an injector is leaking, and kept saying it had "electrical problmes" but when i asked her what problem she said the hotstart thing and there some temp sensor that causes it, i googled it and it seems more of a fuel prob than electrical.
ahhh, my buddy has a Red 2nd Gen GTU.

Its kind of a turd really, but he keeps great care of it. I dont remember what the GTU package consisted of, but if youre just looking for something to cruise around in, not something fast, and its cheap enough, pick it up.

·
sawzall's are cool
2,330 Posts
1 big problem with rx7 are they burn real easy i have had a 80 (carbed) which had a fuel prob and burned down then i bought a 90 that had a small engine fire form leaky fuel injector price wise parts are no more expensive than building a custom s10 but they do have bugs however rotory engines are awsome high reving beasts

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she only wants 800 for it, she told me its been sitting for about a year but a new batt and it fired right up, shes the 2nd owner, bought it from an auction from some 90 yearold guy that bought it new, drove it a few times then promptly died and it sat for about 7 years before she got it, she stopped driving it after the hotstart thing started happening, she had the sensor thingy replaced 3 times and gave up, and from ive read the leaky injector costs a couple hundred to fix:(

but she also said itll hit 140 top speed no problem lol

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah ive been poking around there but not finding much on the hotstart crap, but what ss sdime said is bout as much as i can gather, pull a fuses and dry out the plugs, it seesm this hotstart is flooding on a fuel injected system, cept being a rotary the excess fuel cant just fizzle out of the valves

·
import killer
2,470 Posts
if that this has eletrical problems. i would just walk away and save your self alot of money and stress. i know a kid that tried to rebuild one. he was going by some performace write up he found online. if i rember right he did a J port or something like that. basically he ported the fuel chamber. ever since then. the car will not start on its own. you have to actualy push the car to about 30MPH. thats the only way it will start. and his brother has one. once its hot it will not start. first one is a 1990. the other is a gen before the 90.

·
WARNING: Bad Habits
936 Posts
SS SDIME said:
my buddy has one with the hot start problem, if you dont let it warm up before you drive it and if u dont let it sit for a minute or 2 before you shut it off next time you try and start it it will foul the spark plugs, this happens often you have to take out the fuse for the fuel pump take out the top 2 spark plugs crank it over let the gas blow out of the chambers then you can put it together and it will start fine, it takes less then 2 minutes to take the plugs out
Sounds like that'd just be letting the turbos lube up which your supposed to do.

And man 2nd gens are ugly IMO. The only ones that look good are the 3rd gens.
But thats why they go for 20k+.

·
work in progress
2,628 Posts
ya...you do have to let them run a few minutes after driving before turning them off. Rotary motors have pros and cons just like anything else. Good luck.

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
sykominitrkr said:
I know that an RX-7 is not a minitruck.
Good for you. Do you want a cookie? What kind do you like, choclate chip, oreo, or sugar?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts