S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone here has thought about or has done a 4.8L swap?? it seems like it would be easier than a 350 since it is a smaller engine. also they come with a 5 speed tranny.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so even though the 4.8 is alsmost a litre smaller....its still the same "size as the 5.7?? is there a conversion kit for an s-10>? also would it be cheaper than the 5.7? thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
4.8s are LS series engines like the LS1s. So if you're looking for info on those look for LS1 swaps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will it fit??

·
Registered
383 Posts
if the 4,8 fits the 5.3 should fit i think there the same block

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya that would be nice

·
Registered
726 Posts
yes the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 are all externally the same size they all use the same basic block
and they are not much different in size than a normal 350
also i would think it would be harder/more expensive to do a truck engine LS style swap from into an S10 because they are a DIS style engine (distibutorless ignition system) and you would have to swap in a the computer and everything elase and then make it work in conjunction with the s10's existing computer

stick with a convention V8 swap if you want cheaper and easier

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much is a convention v8 swap?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Guys the 4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0 are all steel block engines. The only aluminum block is the LS1 making it even lighter than our stock 4.3. Why would you want to go any other way?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
conventional swap headers and motor mounts can be had for >$200 but unless you like being under the hood, spring for the best headers(thickest flanges) you can afford (usually around $300). Obviously, the reason not to use an LS1 is to save money, if money isn't a concern then then the LS1 isn't a bad way to go. There's so many ways to build a V8 that I find it odd everyone wants a late model swap engine. The $6000+ you would drop on a late motor could build a really nice alum. head stroker and if you play it right a stand alone EFI system.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Why stand alone? Factory Fuel Injection seems to me the best route, it is tried and true. No aftermarket computer to "tune in" a factory computer also has a better dignostic system than any aftermarket system, and pretty much any shop with a scanner can get in to the codes to see if anything is wrong.
I just swapped out an aftermarket Accel system that someone installed on a Jaguar with a Vette LT1 in it. I put a factory computer on it and as soon as I got it started, the computer told me that the Ignition module was bad. He had been having troubles with the car for a while, and that told me right away what the problem was.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ZQ8-97 said:
Guys the 4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0 are all steel block engines. The only aluminum block is the LS1 making it even lighter than our stock 4.3. Why would you want to go any other way?
im gonna guess..........price, plus they are all great motors even though they aren't ls's. The 5.3 and 6.0 will out perform the 350 even with mild builds and the 4.8 might be small but it will still contend with a sbc chevy if not beat it.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
The better cyl. head design of the 4.8,5.3, +LS1 will make more hp per cu. in. than the previous designs, I just think it would be more expensive to build. I've driven a couple of fullsize w/5.3 motor and is surprising how strong they run, but I wouldn't mess with it unless I had a donor truck to pull from.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think i better start saving my money. what cars did the ls1 come in?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rhansen said:
The better cyl. head design of the 4.8,5.3, +LS1 will make more hp per cu. in. than the previous designs, I just think it would be more expensive to build. I've driven a couple of fullsize w/5.3 motor and is surprising how strong they run, but I wouldn't mess with it unless I had a donor truck to pull from.
Yeah, I was also impressed by the 5.3, my brother just bought a 03 z71 and that thing is fast as hell. Supposedly they made some small changes on the 03's compared to the 02s, i personally dont know. But chevy is really putting out some wicked stuff right now. Cant wait to see how the 5 cylinder runs in sbanger replacements, somehow i have a feeling it wont be mild by any means. anyways, my point is, for stock trucks chevy is putting out some pretty wicked power houses.

a complete donor truck is definitly the way to go

1 - 20 of 25 Posts