S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying my 97 S10 2wd 2.2 with 92k miles last august it has served me pretty well. No major repairs, hell hardly had to do anything to it besides regular maint and its now got 132K. Until today. Was doing about 80 on the way to work this morning (like usual) and all of a sudden it bucked like I hit the speed limiter (still only going 80) and then started losing power. So I promptly pulled over, soon as I took it out of gear the truck died and wouldnt start again. Had it towed home to look it over. Its got fire, its got air, but I cant hear the fuel pump whine. Opened up the TB and sprayed some starting fluid in there and it starts right up and runs until the starting fluid is gone. My four main thoughts were FP Regulator, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump Relay, or Fuel Pump. Fuel filters out because the pump isnt even humming(working), right?
Fp regulator cant be because it wont even start, right?
To my way of thinking, the main culprit is either the relay or the pump itself. O'reillys want $319 for a pump and strainer. Has anybody got a GM part# for a stock fuelpump, does it come with the strainer? Tried looking it up on gmpartsdirect.com, but cant seem to find any kind of cataloging system for stock parts there. I know the fuel pump relay is in the glove box. Theres three relays in there, anybody know which one(s) is actually for the pump?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,087 Posts
If it does turn out to be a fuel pump (sounds like it) do yourself a favor and get the factory AC/Delco unit. Look around for someone that's willing to sell at a discount. Cost at the dealer for my 4.3 is $410. I got one thru work for $387. Still alot but what ya gonna do??I've tried 2 Airtex pumps and the sending unit is way off.

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the suggestion. I went to a few shops today and they all suggest that since I drive about 600 miles a week that I need to be sure to get a good quality pump(well duh). I found a carter pump locally for $298. Went to the gm dealer where they quoted $538.00:bash: Gm parts direct wants $269 +53.86 for S&H.
$54????? for shipping??? :phil: GM parts zone doesnt even recognise the part #. Anyways, the GM part # is 25178729.

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the offer. But yours is different. 97 was the first year that they started incorporating the sending unit for the gauge along with the pump. Thats why it cost so much. Your 95 is dead? Are you parting or selling the whole truck? Let me know if you are.

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
i would sell it, but i got too much time into it, and since it was my daily driver/project, there are lots of good and bad point abotu the truck. good, everything worked, complete, good suspension, wheels, tires, straight clean body(primed 100% partially shaved, really nice stereo, not show or contest worthy but nice 3/5 drop, but its the bottom line 2.2 with 150,000. i would need $1500 to let it go, but its just not worth it now that it doesnt run. so i am just going to part out engine components(anything drivetrain mainly).... so....

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
i have my 89 i w ould let go for the haulin... free... clear title... complete truck. just rough and some parts semi disassembled. and now that my truck doesnt run i have to share vehicles witht he fiance, and dont have a chance to get to my friends garage to snap pictures. its a white extended cab 89 with nice tinted windows, rough all around truck, and black angel hair headline :D

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, ive got a 91 of my own that I need to get rid of. But its going as a whole running truck unless i find a blazer body to stuff the 4.3 running gear into. Im not sure how big Columbia is, but its been my experience that the smaller towns you get into the more people expect to be able to pick up a whole truck like your 95 for $100, instead of $1500--which you could prolly get for it here in the kc area. So does this mean that your 95 is going to see a small block sometime soon?

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By rough all around truck, do you mean thats its rusty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts