S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mongo
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 s10 with a 5spd. and I noticed this about them and it drives me crazy. Anyone else's seem to find that 4th gear is a really tall gear. Like in 3rd gear you can have it revved higher then any other shift point then you go into 4th and it boggs!! It seems liek I have to run in 3rd gear until some really high RPMs so when I shift into 4th it don't bog.

Anyone else have this too?

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts
I never really pay attention, when I shift out of 3rd I shift at like 4500RPMs on the highway.

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
Mmm cant really say I have noticed that either?

·
Registered
324 Posts
4th gear is 1:1 just like most other 4 and 5 speeds out there.i know when i went from the factory tires to a 235/60 it seemed to make 4th and 5th pull much better

·
Registered
132 Posts
i can shift from 3rd to 4th with no problem's. Normal driving i shift into 4th at about 2,500. But On the highway i shift anywhere between 4,500-& 5k

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
therealdeal770 said:
4th gear is 1:1 just like most other 4 and 5 speeds out there.i know when i went from the factory tires to a 235/60 it seemed to make 4th and 5th pull much better
:stupid: but mine is a t5 where as most of you guys have the nv1500

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
id take my t5 over any nv1500.........

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
dont be scared........just run the rpm's up alittle it wont hurt it

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
ktr_s10 said:
id take my t5 over any nv1500.........

:werd: I have 280K on mine and it has never been rebuilt

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
crossmember driveshaft and computer would all need to be changed I think

·
how low can you go
2,745 Posts
mine is the same way never get to 5th unless im on the highway

·
lazy and broke
597 Posts
4th gear could definatly be shorter, i cant even red line in 4th cause it hits the speed governor.

·
Professional Insultant
5,928 Posts
Under normal conditions I just skip fourth, I'm not racing or anything so I usually get up to the speed limit 40-50 in third gear then put it in 5th gear and just cruise. 5th is just the over drive gear, you can get all the way to the top end in fourth, you were meant to, really hard to accelerate in 5th at any speed in a 2.2.

·
Work In lack of Progress
113 Posts
ok i'm a tad confused... t5??? thats a mustang tranny and a horrible tranny at that, but what do you expect from ford anyways. Did gm make a t5 as well or are you guys throwing ford trannys in your s-10's?

also 4th is a bit more of a jump, and doesn't put you back in the seat very well even under hard shifts, but then again by that time your power is pretty much exhausted in these things without mods.

the reason 235/60's give you more up tom is cause you are running slightly more rpms than normal since the tire is 1mm shorter, not much but it adds up. and do the 235's rub up front? I am going with those next so i wanted to know thanks.

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
the tranny is a Borg-Warner t5, neither ford nor chevy made it....im not sure about the specs on it, but there is deff. a noticable between the the nv1500 and the t5

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
lol gm only used t5 for like 10+ yrs lol and so did ford and dodge and countless others and as far as it being shiity come talk to me when you get 275k+ on a stock nv1500/3500

1 - 20 of 44 Posts