S-10 Forum banner

Anyone doing a V8 upgrade this summer?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  sycophuk 
#1 ·
It's getting warm outside and it's awfully quiet in this forum! So does anyone have a project on the horizon?

I'm not hoping for this route, but if my current engine block turns out to need work, i.e. machining or has to be pulled out of the truck for any reason, I'll just be upgrading the block. A couple sticking points could be addressed by doing so, too. My pistons are DITH so far that I have to use a steel shim gasket to get good compression. Not too big of a deal but surfaces have to be near perfect and there's no way to bump UP compression without head or engine work. If I order an assembled short block, I can get it with flat top pistons instead of these dished, to at or near deck height, and also know that I have a good surface. Plus it'll be a fresh crank, and I should be able to ditch the mods I had to make in order to "make" this a Vortec block. Like the $110 timing cover I had to buy for it. Oh yes and I would get a better oil pan, like the S10 V8 swap one I know is out there.

When will all this happen?? Well one way or another I want to complete my project, so that means putting it back together before the official start of summer, or it could be a little bit due to all the prep work in pulling an engine on these trucks. I'd probably bring a friend this time to help more.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not planning a v8 swap unless the deal on a rebuilt 355 goes through. It's never been in a vehicle. Just fired up on engine dyno. Makes 400 hp using roller cam and roller rockers and 10:1 compression. Has iron heads but they have some machine work done to them. Only issue is that it's carb and I really wanted efi. Trying to figure out if there is a manual transmission to fit the 355 that would keep the shifter in the stock hole in the floor. Of course if the engine deal falls through I will run the stock 4 banger until I find the v8 I want.

Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see pics of it in progress

#17 ·
Me too, don't have a garage so it's been plenty cold and wet. It's almost ready for license . Almost two weeks ago I took it for it's first around the block. My biggest obstacle was being new to Kentucky. No resources , no parts accumulation , no friends with favors owed . This is my third V8 dime build , it has been the worse . Ahhh but the V8 rumble and ability to turn new tires old in just under a block ,WORTH IT !

#6 · (Edited)
Yes unfortunately it has taken me this long to take out the 4.3 and the 2wd 4l60 I cant often walk well after being hit by a truck so I’ve been doing my best, I was seeing a lot of frames being cut and re-welding on others projects I ended up getting a nice pan from Hamburg had fitment issues at first found out a bracket they built on the end section of the oil pick up wouldn’t allow the pan to sit on the block properly so I ground that down and installed it tried to get the assembly in but couldn’t for the life of me and I had not cut anything so I almost gave in an cut the cross member when I was like I can get two inches of clearance from lifting the front of the cab up a bit so I took out the two front cab mount bolts used a 4”x4”x2’piece of wood and my floor jack to accomplish the cab lift stopped soon as it was touching the bed. Then I removed the intake manifold, I put my foot onto the crank pulley pushes downward an let the jack down and the motor and trans slipped right in little wiggling and the bolts for the motor mounts went through and I put the flat washer lock washer and locking nut on. Not looking for sympathy at all I’m just doing my best in my driveway with no protection from the elements and I’m alone with hand tools only. So I’m felling pretty accomplished and wanted to update anyone curious that it’s finally in the truck

#13 ·
It’s a 86. Been sitting for years. doesn't run. Motor isn’t locked up but the intake carb etc is missing. A buddy of mine told me his dad was buying a bunch of old vehicles on some property and when he told me about the s10 I couldn’t pass it up. Gonna need to go through all the wiring I think some rats moved in lol straight body no rust

#15 ·
If that engine has been sitting open like that for awhile that engine is likely junk. You can probably pick up a decent running 350 for $3-500, less than you'd spend rebuilding that moldy oldie. Probably got rust in at least some of the cylinders which would require boring it out and a total rebuild.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
1988 S15,
Got the truck for free since it wasn't running and sat on someones property for 2 years.
started the disassembly 2 weeks ago. had a 2.5l iron duke.
Swapping in a 5.7l and a 4l60 transmission from a 1997 tahoe.
First swap ever so far its going pretty smoothly. Total cost for everything is sitting at (including engine rebuild and transmission) is $1940, still looking at custom exhaust and new drive line.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Snow Automotive exterior
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive exterior
Engine Machine tool Machine Toolroom Auto part
Engine Auto part Vehicle Scrap Automotive engine part

#19 ·
This is the first one I used stock exhaust manifolds . Sounds really good though , 3'of 21/4" pipes into Jegs cherry bombs . The motors 40 over with a Crower cam , and gear drive . The trans is a fresh 700 # 2 shift kit electric lock out , the converter is from a four cylinder . ( That is one of my secrets lot cheaper then buying a aftermarket stall converter)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.