S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to try ot do the impossible. It seems from what everyone has been saying, trying to get a trailer reciever mounted with a 5 link setup is impossible. I hate the look of my damn bumper, and want to get rid of that. Can anyone help me out with trying to fabricate this idea? My othe truck which is just a stock xtreme was very easy by just cutting the ears off the reciever so i could mount it to the frame and cut a hole in the cali combo, this setup im trying to do now with the 5 link looks like it can be difficult.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts

If you are good at fabbing,

all a hitch is is a box hitch welded into Box tube

so replace the 5 link rear X member with a larger 2X2" 1/4" wall Box tube and weld your hitch recvr. into it and re weld on your lift bar tabs :)

·
Bagged
2,209 Posts
It is easy, but you are going to have to know how to weld. The receiver will have to drop down so the top of the tubing is level with the frame. level with the bottom of the frame, that will keep it even with roll pan so you can still get to it. I am guessing that the rear x member is maybe 1.5 x 1.5 and 1/4" thick. I wouldn't tow much with that but I have seen some hitches on little cars that are probably that size.

You may be able to just weld a piece of 2x2 in the center of that x member and drill a hole, make a place for your chains and then you would have hitch. I wouldn't do it that way. I would get the tabs unwelded for the 5 link and you could modify a piece of 2x2 so it keeps the tabs in the same place (height wise so the lift bars dont drag, notch the piece and beef it up??) And make the hithc look like that, I have that one but the picture doesnt look like that, that is a better design however.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=SUM%2DG101400&N=700+4294908216+4294907469+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
853 Posts
take a 24 inch ?? piece and bend or piecut bend it so it soes forward and ties into the bag bar. add some reinforcment to the rear link bar heavy wall angle will help and is easy to make clear items. remember you can tape the ends as it approaches the frame

·
Now i have my real truck!
3,081 Posts
hey blazin low gave me a good idea have the drag bar there like that,but does anyone have anyideas on how to hide the reciever when u are not using it??? htought about some kind of hinge thing and make it swing back up under the bed when u arn't using it but i dont think it would be strong enough thoughis the only problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts