S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody using a 7-inch or greater touchscreen with Android and some with backup cams too? I see tons of these but not in person and thought it's a cheap was to get a stereo, navigation and cam... until I realized there's no slot for CD's...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a $30 touchscreen and back up camera from amazon in my 95 s10. I’ve been extremely impressed with it. A few spelling errors deep in the menus, but it works perfectly for what I need. Backup camera is clear and bright

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a $30 touchscreen and back up camera from amazon in my 95 s10. I’ve been extremely impressed with it. A few spelling errors deep in the menus, but it works perfectly for what I need. Backup camera is clear and bright
What do you do about CD's? Do you use a small battery operated CD player patched into the AUX line?

And how do you do Navigation that previously used DVD's? Do you download image maps or map files or ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i don’t use CDs at all. I use the Bluetooth feature on my phone. And for navigation as long as your phone is plugged in it displays the map.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual
99 Posts
Would you tell us a brand, model number, or ASIN? Sounds like it would be worth a try for my daughters’95.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you tell us a brand, model number, or ASIN? Sounds like it would be worth a try for my daughters’95.
Sure thing my friend, the one I got is currently unavailable from amazon, but it should have the info you need to find it, or one similar.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So..... are CD's dead like 8-tracks? Don't bother buying touchscreens with disc slots at a premium price? I thought I found something decent and the "check if it fits" said it didn't fit an Envoy I was thinking of buying. On another site, the 6-cylinder version of the Envoy fit but the V8 Envoy didn't! Did they change the firewall or something on a V8? Why would it make any difference? Thanks.

·
time to get cereal
3,416 Posts
If you want a CD player, then buy one with a CD player. My newest vehicle is a 2019 and I'm glad it has a CD player, since I still buy CDs at used music stores. Nice to be able to just pop it in. Also, if you care about fidelity in the slightest, you know that bluetooth might as well be cassette grade sound quality.

Reactions: Joe Cool

·
Registered
5 Posts
So..... are CD's dead like 8-tracks? Don't bother buying touchscreens with disc slots at a premium price? I thought I found something decent and the "check if it fits" said it didn't fit an Envoy I was thinking of buying. On another site, the 6-cylinder version of the Envoy fit but the V8 Envoy didn't! Did they change the firewall or something on a V8? Why would it make any difference? Thanks.
Honestly I can’t imagine there would be a fitting difference in the dash of an envoy based on the engine size. It’s much more likely that’s just because they had one placed specifically and not the other and just reported that. As long as you have a dash install kit that is gauged for single den or double den(depending on what you buy, the one I posted was double din) it should fit without any issues. As far as firewall goes if you’re running hot for a sound system, there is always a way into the cab somewhere.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They are trying to kill CD's like the cassette tapes and 8-tracks. I also have a decent amount of CD's and like a better sound quality. I had to replace my 13 year old Pioneer radio in my truck earlier this year and noticed the CD option is not too common. I went with a Pioneer again, this time a 7" touch screen with all the options you mentioned. But it wasn't cheap; I got it on sale for $320. Not saying the $50 radios aren't any good, I just consider my radios a long term investment, so I don't mind paying for a nicer one.

But the fact that CD's are going away was kind of a shock and made me feel old...

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are trying to kill CD's like the cassette tapes and 8-tracks. I also have a decent amount of CD's and like a better sound quality. I had to replace my 13 year old Pioneer radio in my truck earlier this year and noticed the CD option is not too common. I went with a Pioneer again, this time a 7" touch screen with all the options you mentioned. But it wasn't cheap; I got it on sale for $320. Not saying the $50 radios aren't any good, I just consider my radios a long term investment, so I don't mind paying for a nicer one.

But the fact that CD's are going away was kind of a shock and made me feel old...
I’m with you Man, I’ve got whole cases of CDs that I still carry around out of habit from when I was younger, I bought a new Jeep Cherokee and didn’t even realize it doesn’t come with a CD player for probably a month. I definitely miss that. But yeah, for a primary vehicle quality is worth paying for. My S-10 is more of a toy than a daily driver, so for that purpose the $50 player has worked good.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i don’t use CDs at all. I use the Bluetooth feature on my phone. And for navigation as long as your phone is plugged in it displays the map.
I own a Note8 cell phone for 2+ years now, bought it when a lady upgraded to a newer version, she threw in a 128GB microSD card.... I have a 32GB card plugged into an over the ears headphone set I use in the yard and also to fall asleep; I have nearly a thousand songs on it, but I don't even have ONE song on the cell!! In all that time I still have not used a byte of data, that's all Greek to me!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Truthfully, I have grown to love the bluetooth connection on the new radio. I like the hands free calling (5 speed manual), and honestly I use the downloaded music on my phone most of the time. I still use my CD's, but I am starting to come around to the convenience of modern technology. On my radio I still have to connect to the usb to use Android Auto and navigation, but not a big deal. Wireless Android Auto is quite a bit more than my radio was.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what you mean about not enough hands with a stick, my '67 Camaro SS/RS had a Muncie M21! I had a hot girl and I smoked too... how do you tell a hot blonde you cannot hold her hand? So I put in a Turbo 400! Problem solved.

I still didn't figure how to check my email from a Walmart parking lot... I go inside and use their WiFi instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts