S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and just got an S-10 this summer.

I like the 4-banger, but having already replaced the head gasket and basic stuff with K&N Intake Filter, and it jsut doesn;t seem like the engine has any upgradeability. Plus I can;t pull anything with it.

What my question is

- Is there a Shop that will changeover my 96 LS S-10 2.2 Manual -to- a 4.3l 98 SS V-6 with Auto Trans?

I know the swap is a little more involved then most, and I do not want all-out performance, but I need to pull some cars and want the added torque of the engine.

But can just any shop do this, or should I trust it to an install shop.

·
Registered
205 Posts
First off, I would not just trust any shop. I would do some research first and see what you can learn about their work.

You may not have thought about a few of the parts you will need: Instrument cluster from a V6 truck so your tach will read right.

All of the engine compartment harnesses, complete engine, PCM, full exhaust, etc.

Either an automatic column and all linkages or a floor shifter.

The swap isn't too bad provided you have all the parts. I am sure you can find a reputable shop to do the swap for you. If not, just let me know and I will see if I can help you out.

Ryan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry to break the news to you NC_Rex, but unless you do 99% of the work yourself it would be cheaper for you to trade your truck in on one that already has a 4.3 The labor for a shop to do it RIGHT is astronomical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like the engine swap is no problem, but the auto swap will be too involved.

I'm gonna get the SS RIms and Suspension Package, then try and convert the front end lenses to 98 or newer....if this can be done easily enough I will find how, parts are not a problem.

Then just settle up on this truck for a newer one - V-6, Auto, Towing Package, Extended Cab.

Just one thing....is the 4x4 not a good idea for towing....or jsut one of those things that helps...not sure if I need a 4x4 or jsut the standard 4x2....all I want to do is drag around parts cars from the countryside in Illinois to Indiannapolis and wherever else. I work parts alot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Forget the 4 wheel drive

Unless you plan on using it a bunch, forget the four wheel drive and stick with 2 wheel. If you look at a cheverolet brochure for the S-10 you will see that the 2 wheel drives actually have more towing capacity than four wheel drives.

Just remember that with a 4L60E or 700R4 it is always a good idea to pull in Drive. There is a restriction, I believe in the overdrive servo (I am not sure about this, somebody correct me if I am wrong) and this heats up the tranny fluid when the truck is under load. If you are really serious about pulling and getting decent gas mileage, get a transmission fluid temp gauge, this way you will know if it is heating up on you, cause heat is really bad for a tranny.

Well, thats my $.02 worth, take it for that I suppose.

Nat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I decided on just going with the newer truck 4x4 ext cab with towing package. I will get the 4x4 just because the resale is better and because I am sick of getting caught in stuff and having the rear-end bounce all over. I thought maybe an Auburn LSD would take care of this, but I think it's a natural tendancy for an S10...regardless if suspension is bad, will probably always be there to a degree.

The 4x4 should resolve this I would think

One other thing, I blow tires really bad on this LS. I just had another patch put in today. Tiger Paws are terrible! They are so thin and crack inside with not more than 3 or 4 years of use. 4x4 tires I would think would be stronger and much thicker.

In addition, I am a camping nut! We end up getting the truck in places that sometimes a 4x4 would be desireable. The towing capacity I am most concerned about is pulling a camper. Normal towing would probably be lighter cars like Hondas. I work alot of them regularly.

Oh, and props to S10 owners!! Imports are sweet rides, but bushings, allignment, smoothness, Rim offset, and Body Metal Quality are just not as nice! Granted I've heard of brake problems with GM's, and some heatore core problems, and the 4-cylinder 2.2's have their bad points, but overall GM trucks are really well made. Plus I love slideshifting gears, it's so darn easy I almost never use the clutch unless i have to stop at a light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts