S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 ZR2 with the machined face wheels, I think stock on 4WD & ZR2 models. Even with brand new tires & stems the wheels are losing air. It even happened in the summer, but it's the worst when it gets really cold, like 10F to -10F... sometimes they fell from 30 psi to 9.5 psi over a week or 2.

What have you done to fix this problem? Did anybody use a bead sealing liquid? I remember years ago Moroso or Mr. Gasket sold it. I'd hate to complain to my tire dealer, he fixed 1 so far under his lifetime flat repair warranty, I don't know if he installs them dry or soapy water or something else.

·
Administrator
21,748 Posts
Some shops still use old school equipment that may damage the area the bead sits in. As much as a pain, and cost, you might have them dismount ted and make sure the surface is smooth. It could also be a very small crack.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A lot of times road grime debris and salt lay in small space between the lip of the rim and tire, it causes alloy wheels to oxidize under the bead where the tire seals. It's fairly common in my area we use salt on the roads still. I typically wire wheel the beads and add bead sealer to all the tires i do, it takes and extra 10 mins a tire but prevents come backs.

edit: If you've paid extra for this lifetime flat repair warranty, which a lot of tire retailers here offer use it, most places sell it to make extra money off the sale, typically 20% of customers ever end up using it.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of times road grime debris and salt lay in small space between the lip of the rim and tire, it causes alloy wheels to oxidize under the bead where the tire seals. It's fairly common in my area we use salt on the roads still. I typically wire wheel the beads and add bead sealer to all the tires i do, it takes and extra 10 mins a tire but prevents come backs.

edit: If you've paid extra for this lifetime flat repair warranty, which a lot of tire retailers here offer use it, most places sell it to make extra money off the sale, typically 20% of customers ever end up using it.
My tires looked dry-rotted in the tread grooves and one I could see the belts so I bought 4 new General Grabber ATx. This is a little family owned company at the edge of the neighborhood where a street dead-ends into a lot shared by a welding company and another business;, he's been there since the mid-'80's at least. He matched Tire Rack's price and and had the tires in by the end of the day and scheduled me for the next day. He was the cheapest on mounting, balancing and new valve stems, he gave me a total price quote for everything. I heard the air-powered wire brush wheel and saw a guy working on 1 of the rims... I didn't count if they did all 4, I had to sit back down. My place was Tire Rack's "independent recommended installer" on their list. The place is always busy and seems everybody knows each customer by first name.

He gave me a full-size printed receipt, I took a pic of it and I did the rebate online and had a prepaid $100 Visa card within 2 weeks! (There are some restrictions, it's not an ATM cash card.)

Also he gave me a card saying Free Lifetime Flat Repair, Free Tire Rotation Every 5000 Miles, so I guess that was all FREE. Not only that, he gave me a 5% discount on the tires! With an oil change, four 31x10.5R15's, four mtg/balance/stems, four NY State Recycling Fees @ $2.50 each, and 8.75% sales tax, it was $674 before the $100 rebate. How could I pass up Grabber ATx's at $130 each installed? On the first repair he did he said it was a bad valve stem. I must ask him if they put the tires on dry or with anything. I'd even offer to get a bead sealer but don't want to spend $15 if they already have something.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you recommend any of these? Some are listed as lubricants, some as sealants, some both.

·
Been there Done it
7,049 Posts
I also live in the salt belt and I've found the best cure is to remove the tire and using a stiff hand held wire brush go around the rim a couple times on both beads until they are completely clean. Never had a leak after doing that. I've got those wheels on 2 trucks and have swapped the tires a couple times w/o any issues after scrubbing them good.
Just personal opinion, of all the different s10 wheels, I think they're the ugliest. Well, except 14" rallys.
They don't hold up well to winter weather very well either. Most of mine are peeling.
I've got one set the PO repainted silver. Those are the ultimate ugly.
BTW they aren't just ZR2 wheels. Although a lot of ZR2's had them, but they came on a lot of other 4wd trucks and Blazers. RPO PA3. Some Zr2's were ordered with other wheels.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
of all those you listed I think the first is the one I have.
any of those except the bull snot are true sealers.
I would only get the ones that ARE flammable,the solvent helps it bite into the rubber.
Wipe clean with lacquer thinner or rubbing alcohol before applying

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also live in the salt belt and I've found the best cure is to remove the tire and using a stiff hand held wire brush go around the rim a couple times on both beads until they are completely clean. Never had a leak after doing that.
Exactly, if the bead of the rim is clean it'll stay sealed. not saying that it wont corrode over time, but it shouldn't. I always use the bead sealer as insurance, most of the shops here in north jersey use xtra seal bead sealer, i've used other brands, can't say i've noticed any difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts