S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys have a large cased three-chamber 30series flowmaster on your S-10's? If so, please post links to soundclips if you have them..I would imagine only V6 owners would go for this muffler...I have one on a V6 car I own and it sounds pretty badass(I have some shitty clips in my sig..the 93GP labels are the ones w/ the 30 series muffler)...I'm running catless at the moment and have nothing but the 30 w/ 2.5'' mandrel bent piping out the back in the stock "dual exhaust"(says dual exhaust on the window sticker from when the car was bought back in 93..lol) which consists of y-pipe at the end to give the dual appearance. Anyways, I lost some low-end power w/ this setup but gained a great deal up top, I plan to add a resonator later( to quieten it down a tad) after I get some custom headers for the car and put my other motor in...sorry for the off-topic chatter about the car..lol...I also have noticed that hardly anyone sells the 30's used on ebay, I guess everyone likes them enough to keep them:cool: ..I would like to pick up a few cheaper/used(new is around $110/each) ones later on for a project car I'm working on.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94badazz said:
a kid at school has one... not very deep, but it has an ok sound when he takes off. but it kinda sounds like a blender!
what does he have it on? a 4cyl?...my small 3.1 V6 sounds like a Stang(5.0 or 4.6..not the DOHC 4.6 though..they have a bit different growl to em') w/ flows on it w/ the 30series...you sure he has a 30? the 50's are also three chambered....any of the delta flow flowmasters sound like crap in my opinion...the originals are where it's at...especially being that you can get the 40series original mufflers on ebay now for about $50 shipped, they must be discontinuing them with the addition of the "super 40" along w/ the new "hush power" series or whatever it's called...good that they're making new mufflers w/ unique tones = more choices. In a about two weeks I'll post a video of my car in the off-topic section or whatever since I'm getting a digital camcorder for christmas..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
he has a 4.3 liter in his ZR2. he is using 2.5 in and dual 2 inch out. if my chevy souned like a stang i would burn it, mustangs are gay. i would rather sound like a 350 chevy. you must have not heard a nasty sounding 4.3. EL guapo has a extreme blazer 4.3, he has headers, slp Y pipe, no cat, single 3 inch piping, into a flowmaster original 40, 3 in 3 out and it sounds fockin nasty as hell. better than any gay ass mustang.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
No 3.1 V6 with any type of exhaust will ever sound like a 5.0 or a 4.6 mustang, period. You should hear a nasty sounding 4.3 like 94badazz said, I have a close setup to the blazer he mentions only I have 2.5" and I don't have headers (yet), but this setup sounds incredible so I can only imagine with a set of headers what it will sound like.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94badazz said:
he has a 4.3 liter in his ZR2. he is using 2.5 in and dual 2 inch out. if my chevy souned like a stang i would burn it, mustangs are gay. i would rather sound like a 350 chevy. you must have not heard a nasty sounding 4.3. EL guapo has a extreme blazer 4.3, he has headers, slp Y pipe, no cat, single 3 inch piping, into a flowmaster original 40, 3 in 3 out and it sounds fockin nasty as hell. better than any gay ass mustang.
you're obviously in denile in you think mustangs sound bad or that a 4.3 of all things sounds better than one, that, or you have bad tastes:thumbup: ..I'm not trying to start shit, but I give credit where credit is due, no V6 sounds as good as a nice sounding V8, no matter what setup it has. Only S-10(that I've heard) that sounded "good" in my opinion was a local guys early 90's S-10 w/ a 2.5'' catback w/ no cat and a older one chamber flowmaster(before the delta flow), and it sounded identical to a mustang as well....:) In my opinion, mustangs as a collective have the best overall exhaust sound than any other car..again, this is my opinion....I like all types of cars, I'm not simple-minded/biased as some people tend to be, I don't discriminate against a make of certain cars or a type of car just because I don't like some things about them. Care to elaborate why mustangs are "gay?"

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
this was supposed to be directed to the person that said a 3.1 won't sound like a 4.6, I screwed up and hit quote by accident :rant:

EDIT: and hmm, tell that first line to my car..care to come to athens, GA to hear the car and judge for yourself? I'm sure a few other S-10 guys from athens are on the board and might have heard my car before. I have exhaust clips on my link in my sig, they'll be listed w/ "93" in the file names..the rest are various other exhaust recordings, none are of the best quality and don't do justice to my car.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I agree with you that mustang 5.0's have a really pleasant and ballsy sound exhaust, one of the best with a set of flowmasters. I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on the whole 3.1 v6 and now a 2.5 4cyl sounding like a V8, yeah that's just not possible and never will be, unless of course you add 2 and 4 more cylinders respectively.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MINTSICK said:
I agree with you that mustang 5.0's have a really pleasant and ballsy sound exhaust, one of the best with a set of flowmasters. I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on the whole 3.1 v6 and now a 2.5 4cyl sounding like a V8, yeah that's just not possible and never will be, unless of course you add 2 and 4 more cylinders respectively.
Um, where did I say 2.5 4cyl sounding like a V8?:rolleyes: Please point it out to me, thanks. I said a early 90's S-10(I didn't list the motor size) w/ 2.5'' = 2.5 *INCH*.as in the exhaust piping size.imagine that...)...and it has a 4.3 by the way.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
mfewtrail said:
you're obviously in denile in you think mustangs sound bad or that a 4.3 of all things sounds better than one, that, or you have bad tastes:thumbup: ..I'm not trying to start shit, but I give credit where credit is due, no V6 sounds as good as a nice sounding V8, no matter what setup it has. Only S-10(that I've heard) that sounded "good" in my opinion was a local guys early 90's S-10 w/ a 2.5'' catback w/ no cat and a older one chamber flowmaster(before the delta flow), and it sounded identical to a mustang as well....:) In my opinion, mustangs as a collective have the best overall exhaust sound than any other car..again, this is my opinion....I like all types of cars, I'm not simple-minded/biased as some people tend to be, I don't discriminate against a make of certain cars or a type of car just because I don't like some things about them. Care to elaborate why mustangs are "gay?"
i have heard a nasty 5.0, and yes it sounds good. i hate mustangs because i think they are overrated. every pussy around here has a 3.8 automatic and they think that it is the shit. and yet they get their ass handed to them almost any race they are in. and i have seen in person at a local drag strip, a 4.6 newer mustang with a custom turbo setup get smoked be a grand prix GTP supercharged. neither car was sprayin either! the funny part is that the guy who had the shitstang was trashin every car there saying he would beat it, then he gets his ass handed to him by a GM v6! ford blows.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you happen to look at my picture hosting site in my sig? I have a GTP(2001):) basically stock, but it does good for what it is(family sports sedan)...I'm a grand prix fanatic as you could probably tell by looking at the pictures on my host site, the 93 GP is the one that sounds good, just ask anyone about the older 2.8's/3.1's, they sound pretty badass for V6's, one of the best sounding V6's in my opinion..I've heard numererous older S-10's w/ the 2.8's that sound pretty wicked around here....that black car on my host site isn't mine, it belongs to my dad, it's a *rare* 1990 ASC/McLaren(ASC did the body kit/sunroof install and a few other styling cues...McLaren helped develop the engine management and did the turbo fabrication work) Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix ....it has a small T25 Garrett turbocharger on it and makes 205hp and a torque managed 225lb/ft torque...it has a few mods and is a bit faster than a stock one, my dad plans to run it at a 1/4 mile track sometime next year when the track opens again...they do around low 15's stock by the way..not that fast, but pretty decent for a heavy FWD car.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
mfewtrail said:
Um, where did I say 2.5 4cyl sounding like a V8?:rolleyes: Please point it out to me, thanks. I said a early 90's S-10(I didn't list the motor size) w/ 2.5'' = 2.5 *INCH*.as in the exhaust piping size.imagine that...)...and it has a 4.3 by the way.
"Only S-10(that I've heard) that sounded "good" in my opinion was a local guys early 90's S-10 w/ a 2.5'' catback w/ no cat and a older one chamber flowmaster(before the delta flow), and it sounded identical to a mustang as well...."

I misread the 2.5 thing, but still a 4.3 really does not sound identical to a 5.0, but it does sound good. I never ever liked the sound of fwd 2.8/3.1, the way the exhaust is setup changes the tone quite a bit, but a 2.8 s10 with exhaust definitely sounds sick.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
MINTSICK said:
"Only S-10(that I've heard) that sounded "good" in my opinion was a local guys early 90's S-10 w/ a 2.5'' catback w/ no cat and a older one chamber flowmaster(before the delta flow), and it sounded identical to a mustang as well...."

I misread the 2.5 thing, but still a 4.3 really does not sound identical to a 5.0, but it does sound good. I never ever liked the sound of fwd 2.8/3.1, the way the exhaust is setup changes the tone quite a bit, but a 2.8 s10 with exhaust definitely sounds sick.
no problem, sorry for the sorta smartass reply, I wasn't feeling good at the time, but that's no excuse:jester: ...anyways, if you were to hear that particular truck, you would most likely agree with me..it was for sale not too long ago in my area(athens, ga)..but looked like it had been through hell since the guy sold it to someone who didn't take care of it. Did you download my exhaust clips by the way? The video footage I'm going to shoot within the next few weeks will change your mind about the FWD 3.1's..I'll have videos of the Turbo Grand Prix as well as my 93 w/ modded exhaust.:D

EDIT:(damn I love the edit function...too much..lol) I added a clip of a 94 Grand Prix that a guy on a GP board owns as well, it's a short vid of his car at cold idle/startup, it's a 3100 by the way..similar to the 3.1's but they have a bit different sound...it has stock cat, then a resonator to 2.5'' mandrel bent piping(in the stock Grand Prix "dual exhaust"(as gm calls it) fashion) to the y pipe at the rear and then splits to 2.25'' and into dual resonated tips.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can be partial to all seems how I have an 89 full size chevy with a 350, s-10 blazer with the 4.3, 1998 cavalier with the 2.2, and a 94 mustang gt with a 306......SUPERCARGED! You will never get a 4.3 to sound like a gt. Maybe close to the little 4.6's, but not the 5.0. I used to have the flowmaster 40 series on the stang and when I switched to the single chamber 10 series I tried and tried and tried to get the blaze to sound even remotely like a stock 5.0 and it can't be done. Now with the new exhaust on the stang, there is NO WAY in hell I can get the blaze to sound the same.lol I love all cars, but I HATE little ricers with the 89 civics and spinnin hubcaps with a 10 foot wing!(gross) Therefore, you will very rarely hear me dissing a car or a brand of car, because if it's sold on the market, the company's must have done something right.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S-102NV said:
I can be partial to all seems how I have an 89 full size chevy with a 350, s-10 blazer with the 4.3, 1998 cavalier with the 2.2, and a 94 mustang gt with a 306......SUPERCARGED! You will never get a 4.3 to sound like a gt. Maybe close to the little 4.6's, but not the 5.0. I used to have the flowmaster 40 series on the stang and when I switched to the single chamber 10 series I tried and tried and tried to get the blaze to sound even remotely like a stock 5.0 and it can't be done. Now with the new exhaust on the stang, there is NO WAY in hell I can get the blaze to sound the same.lol I love all cars, but I HATE little ricers with the 89 civics and spinnin hubcaps with a 10 foot wing!(gross) Therefore, you will very rarely hear me dissing a car or a brand of car, because if it's sold on the market, the company's must have done something right.
I hear ya'..and I might add a little clarification to my statements, by sounding like a mustang, I mean like a mustang w/ stock cat, but w/ a catback exhaust...if it has no cat, there's no way it would sound remotely as loud as a Mustang..I also mean a basically stock(exhaust only) mustang, I definitely don't mean a highly modified mustang as they sound quite a bit meaner(but still have that distinct tone). And for the 100th time, just wait until I get a good quality clip of my car, anyone in athens, ga interested in hearing it, let me know, I'd be glad to let ya' hear the puny 3.1 that sounds pretty sweet.:D

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Yugo's got sold....i think that was a freak accident tho. 4 guys here on campus have 'stangs (one a 4.6L with BOSS written in big yellow letters across the hood, and its a 1998). my CPI S-10, with a Flow 40 original and dual 2.5" outs, sounded better, but i think 2 of the Fords has stock exhaust, the "BOSS" had a glasspack, and one was running straight pipes. im not a Mustang fan, but i gotta give it to the Ford guys, they have great diesel engines, and when i have something to drop it in, i want to find a 351C and play with it. i simply dislike the Mustang cuz a LOT of the drivers rice their cars out (hard to do, yes, but they manage it), a lot of them talk big shit because it's a Mustang, and they dont realize that it didnt start life as a muscle car, or they're lulled into delusions of grandeur because they have a V8. loudest thing i ever heard was a Dodge Dart *i think* with a bored, juiced, blown 383 running open headers in a body shop. that was NASTY loud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah open headers blown with a nasty cam. God, I love that sound! Mind don't sound quite like the old carberated motors, but still sounds tough. Oh and I will agree with you on the driver talking shit part. Almost every mustang owner I know talks shit about how fast thier stock stang is lol, and I don't. I actually try to get people around here to thinks it's slow. Most people don't buy it because of the sound, but the others really get a suprise! bwuhahahahaha! Anyway, I am now using a 50 series delta flow, and that seems to be the best sound for the blazer(4.3 motor) not too loud and a deep mean sounding tone. I think the 40's are just a bit too much!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
a lot of S-10's around here have the nasty backfiring and popping noise (not sure if they run Flows) but my truck never had that, even with a Flow 40 Original. when i get a Blazer, im going to do headers, bigger y-pipe, maybe a high flow cat (if i have the spare $$$) and a Flow 40 Original with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets, turned down in front of the axle. should give the 'stangs and other toys around here a run for their money, sound-wise.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Both s10's I've had, 92 2.8 5spd and 00 4.3 5spd both have Flowmasters and both make the trademark backfiring/popping sound on occassion. I noticed when I removed my cat on my 4.3 that the snarling and crackling sounds were amplified, hey I like it though, scares people sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts