S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ZR2 Blazer 4.3.

the hoodlatch is broken from inside the engine compartment and we can not open the hood to get to any other the engine. i need to replace the fan shrowd and it seems like the cable is either knocked off or broken.

We tried pullin the cable from inside the cab but it wont budge..
how do i open it????:rant:

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
I had mine get stuck once. I had someone pull on the release while I banged on the hood with my fist where the latch is. The banging shook it loose. First thing I did was grab an oil can and lube the hood release.

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
that happened on my 01 blazer.

grab your pry bar, wrap a grease rag or two around the end of it that comes in contact with paint/grill whatever-and gently pry on it while someone repeatedly tries to pull latch.
worked for me

·
2,679 Posts
I had that happen to me. If you can't get you hand on the cable or bump on it as someone else pulls the handle, try setting the car out in the baking sun for an hour or so. I've seen that expand it enough to allow it to work.
After you get it open; re agust the hood latch correctly. Be carefull not to make it so easy to open that a bump can release it.
I use hood pins on hoods that have trouble latches. $5 and your hood won't fly up on you while you're flying down the highway.....

·
Registered
928 Posts
I know what he's talking about. The end broke off the cable under the hood on my 92 while it was under warranty. No amount of pulling the cable will help because it's not connected. The dealer techs know how to get the hood open and can advise you.

<edit> if it's still connected, then pounding on the hood will sometimes shake things loose if done while someone else pulls the cable. That happened on my 96 for a while.

·
resident crybaby
1,517 Posts
bring it someplace to have the oil changed and let them deal with it and sue em if they mess it up

·
resident crybaby
1,517 Posts
you can yank out the grill and unbolt the bracket that holds the latch on maybe?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it fixed...just unbolted the latch. ended up having the cable come loose of the hinge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts