S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to think i cant handle this after only 20 months. My dad and I opened a repair shop in December 05 and its been hell since with very little positives. I have been trying to juggle the business with a part time job workin a parts store. When the opportunity came I was all for it but now it seems Im dreading everyday. I mean, my greatest hobby and passion of the past has turned into my career and now I cant stand the hobby I once enjoyed so much. With access to four lifts and just about any automotive tool i could dream of and a good discount on pretty much anything i want automotive wise I cringe at having to even do simple maintainence on my personal vehicle. Its just me and pops running this gig which is very difficult considering we work 6 days a week just to keep the business goin. Ive been working two jobs 60-70 hours a week this entire time to keep up on my personal bills and trust me Im not living it up Beverly Hills style. Im comfortable but not that comfortable. I've gone 35-40 days in a row without a day off multiple multiple times and its draggin me down slowly. There is some light at the end of the tunnel though, one of my biggest bills(truck payment) is almost gone. I owe $815 on my truck. With that bill out of the way I can see things getting a lil better but the stress of this business still might be too much.

I dont know what the point of this really was but I needed to rant somehow. Its messing with my head in a bad way. Ive realized Im to the point where im pretty irritable and easily frustrated. Which means I have probably pissed off some close good friends and family and may not even known it.

Sorry guys /endrant :(

·
gurlz smell
1,849 Posts
Starting, running, maintaining, and profiting from your own business can be a very tough gig. It may be a while before things settle down but if you keep at it Im sure it will work out. Maybe try and get some more help in the shop, rather than just you and your pops. It may hurt overall yield but can save you the stress and headaches you've been going through. Good luck

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting, running, maintaining, and profiting from your own business can be a very tough gig. It may be a while before things settle down but if you keep at it Im sure it will work out. Maybe try and get some more help in the shop, rather than just you and your pops. It may hurt overall yield but can save you the stress and headaches you've been going through. Good luck
I hear ya. Im thinkin about seeing if my dad is interested in doing Saturdays by appointment only. That way we know exactly what we have planned and can possibly rotate Saturdays off since its our short day 8am-2pm. Its about impossible to run this place for more than a couple hours solo. You never wanna turn away business or not take care of walk in or telephone customers. Im not sure if he will be up for this since money in the business account is tight. The shop has done decent it has paid for itself and our wages every month but the last two. We have had to use some of our personal money to pay some bills the last couple months.

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
Well you've only been into it for 20 months... yeah right now sucks, but remember THE BIGGEST thing in the repair world is building a good reputation. Word of mouth is friggen powerful, and chatting up/being super friendly/helpful to customers makes a big difference. I've seen it first hand, not as an owner, but as a shop jockey.

Expect a little while longer, and work on your advertising. Radio ads always attract your target audience in this sorta situation.

What all have you done for advertisement? Is your shop big enough to expand, and take on more employees if the time comes? Tires can rake in a good amount of cash if you can get enough whipping out the door. Hire a youngin to do tires only if you get enough customers for just that.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would NEVER turn a hobby into a career, especially automotive. Except maybe shooting/dealing with guns.
Same here.. I loved to cook. Spent 2 years in tech school (Above high school) for it. Found out a year later how much I hated it, while working in a higher classed restaurant, making a ton of money. Now I'm in a gas station, and make about $150 less a week, but the stress isn't there lol.

·
Nice Jorb
3,146 Posts
Stick with it! It's tough, but it's worth it. It's so much better working 6 days a week for yourself then a 8X5 for the man. It's nice to be the one responsible for how much I can make. I like the fact that I can't blame anyone. To be in control is a wonderful feeling.

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
ever wondered why most small business owners are assholes? you now know.. my dad runs his shop like a slave shop and if one of his workers f*cks up.. he has to cover it.. theres more stress than you realize.. the bills are higher than you realize.. at least you dont have to worry like my father and wonder if ur costumers are going to pay their bills.... just stick it through man.. dont fold so easily.. just dont let it effect you when your outside of work.. once you do that you will truly be a miserable old man

·
Registered
234 Posts
I ran my own for 6 years . Owned a Backhoe and a bulldozer . My first couple months was rough , but after that is was all sweet . except winter time , right before and after christmas . Just give it time . 20 months is kida long to still be strugling , but you can turn it around if you try hard enough ..

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you're shop is already flooded with work, but you're just not profitting enough?
Flooded most of the time, but its not hard to keep two guys busy all day between cars, phones, and walkins. We did have a third guy for a bit to do alot of the grunt work but we eventually laid him off.

I appreciate all the comments guys, this sh*t is just slowly driving me nuts.

·
I Have A S-10 Addiction
1,595 Posts
3 business for me... nothing to complicated except on the new shop... they built it wrong...it leaks and is not level for shit....

·
Dangerous
5,658 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts