S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
boosted 2.2L
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the alignment rack my truck is dead on.
while driving I've noticed it will pull right or left depending on bumps, road grade, last direction the wheel was moved etc.

I've herd different theories but want more input.
my setup
zq8 stock springs, blazer drop spindles, bridgestone 245/45/18 re-050a pole position tires.
stock zq8 steering idler arm replaced with delco. ball joints, tie rods all seem tight.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a guru, but I've done more than my share of alignments in my time.

I have to take your word that everything is tight and things like control arm bushings are not loose.

I think that your tire profile is the main point of your problems.

The first thing I'd check would be toe. If it's set too close to zero or toeing out, it will be inclined to dart around. I go for 1/8-1/16" toe in.

With your tire profile the tires will be inclined to dart around as they try to remain flat and in contact with the road. You should set your camber at zero. If you drive your truck hard you might want to go to 1/4* negative camber but it will still want to dart around if the pavement gets irregular, like deep truck ruts in the road. I have had to do that.

Dial in as much positive caster as you can and try to get both sides as close as possible as long as you don't loose your desired camber.

If you have swapped in NON OEM parts, you must be certain that they are compatible. For example the idler arm MUST be of the same length as the pitman arm, or you will incur bump steer.

That should give you a place to start.

·
boosted 2.2L
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a delco idler arm. not the oe but still delco brand.
I gotta double check bushings.
the alignment guy at my work said the same thing about the wide tires.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
wide tires on the frt is never a good thing. Thats why sport cars run skinner tires up frt and wide tire on the rear. Even tho yours really aren't that wide.

Toe should never be 0. slight tow in is good.

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
wide tires on the frt is never a good thing. Thats why sport cars run skinner tires up frt and wide tire on the rear. Even tho yours really aren't that wide.

Toe should never be 0. slight tow in is good.
this post is wrong all over.
some sports cars run wider in the rear from a weight distribution standpoint (porshes etc)
most others run wider in rear to get a higher understeer gradient.

there are many applications for zero toe, or even toe out, although for most street applications slight toe in may be beneficial.

·
boosted 2.2L
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xtremes have 235's front if I remember correctly.
and I know some even run wider than i have.
I have 275's on the back.

could tie rod angle effect it at all?
i know baer makes their trackers for the s-10.
would these help?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I forgot to mention tire brand.

I started with Goodyear Eagle F1, OEM for Corvette. It darted around so bad I stopped driving it. I now have Kumho ties. The Goodyears had a very stiff tread and tended to roll around in ruts and grooves. The Kumhoos have a softer tread & sidewall and conform to the road surace better. They also stick waaaaaay better than the Goodyears!

·
A4, A5, A6, A8 ASE Cert
374 Posts
check wheel runout. swap tires left from right to check radial pull. check everything. sway bar components and check all suspenion parts. Even the typical idler arm if its worn. Check control arm bushings. check the bump stops. check everything. When i do alignments at my shop, Smalley Automotive aka Budget Brakes in Point Pleasant, NJ, I check everyting including the tire pressure. i can align everything as long as i can fit it on the Alignment Rack and the Door

·
Registered
12 Posts
if your tires a wearing good i wouldent change the toe or camber if i was to gues i would lean towds idler or pitman arm and make sure you dont have alot of slop in your steering box you could try adding some posative caster to it if all above is good that would help and wouldent wear your tires unevenly

·
has 22's now
3,624 Posts
I forgot to mention tire brand.

I started with Goodyear Eagle F1, OEM for Corvette. It darted around so bad I stopped driving it. I now have Kumho ties. The Goodyears had a very stiff tread and tended to roll around in ruts and grooves. The Kumhoos have a softer tread & sidewall and conform to the road surace better. They also stick waaaaaay better than the Goodyears!
runflat ftl. They reallly suck when the pavement gets cold too. No traction what so ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts