S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today and noticed the distinct smell of antifreeze coming out of the vents. I had the heater on so I suppose it could be the core. The only time I smell it is when I am giving the car lots of gas, esp. going up hills. I am thinking head gasket but does anyone else have any ideas?

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
mighta cracked a head

·
Registered
70 Posts
More than likely your heater core has a hairline crack and it is starting to sweat a little antifreeze into your ductwork.
If you turn the heat off the water should stop circulating and the smell should stop that should point to the heater core.

Norman52:uhoh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't the antifreezee circulate no matter what through the heater core?

Also, how hard is it to change. I just did it a few weeks ago in my camaro.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
dunno if it still circs... i think so.. BUT, it wouldnt blow over it- = no more smell in the "cabin"

·
Drive It Like U Stole It!
31 Posts
Its your heater core. As far as changing it, well good luck. I had to do it in a 88 Jimy i used to have and it can be a biatch. Just take your time and plan on spending 3-5 hours on it. You have to take off quite a bit of stuff to get to it. I went through the dash and had to take it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When you turn the temperture control all the way to cold it closes a valve on one of your heater lines stopping the flow of water allowing the heater core to cool down. Otherwise on a hot summer day you would have the heater core just above the passengers feet giving off heat. I beleave the valve is on the pressure side that way if your heater core is leaking the suction side keeps the heater from leaking. Then sometimes when you turn the engine off and the suction stops your heater core will dribble a little water back into the heater case.

Norman52:D

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
3-5 hrs to do the heater core is about right. I had to do mine a few yrs ago when it puked on my passenger floor. NOT FUN.
there is no valve control of the anti-freeze to the core it is "live" all the time, the temp. contoler mixes the air passing the core. when you get it out you will see how it works.
John

·
Registered
745 Posts
same thing happend to me, i just by passed the heater core and put the two hoses together with a connecting valve type thing from home depot. this kinnda sucks if its cold though

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
InSiDiOusSS said:
same thing happend to me, i just by passed the heater core and put the two hoses together with a connecting valve type thing from home depot. this kinnda sucks if its cold though
I dunno, I'm a big believer in fixing it right the 1st time instead of jerry rigging it.... a new heater core is about 20 bux... Would rather replace it and have the heat myself

·
Registered
610 Posts
i have a similar problem, expect mine isnt really when you use the heater, but after i park and get out i notice the antifreeze smell and when i open the hood it slaps me in the face, yet i cna notice and visible leaks, is it the same problem stiers has?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
pressure test should show where leaks coming from. most s series that I've seen dont use heater control valve to stop coolant flow theres an airdoor under the dash that seals off the heater core from the rest of the vents. BTW my 82 only takes 30 min to change heater core.

·
Registered
745 Posts
heater core for my 98 s-10 is 145 bucks from autozone. it was just a temporary thing i was out of town at the time, and needed a quick fix. i just so happend to be winter time

·
Registered
1 Posts
I paid $37 for heater core at NAPA for my '92 4.3 last month. It's a bitch to install. Gotta take nearly the whole dash out. Took me nearly 6 hours and I had some occasional help from a pro!

·
carries a gun at work
1,984 Posts
took me 45 min in my 91 s10

1 - 20 of 25 Posts