S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with antifreeze going low??? I don't notice it leaking out anywhere, but it must be somewhere. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed my heat wasn't working and I checked and it was low. Does anyone know if there is a spot that normally leaks and would know how to replace it? (I have a 94 s-10) Last winter my dad took it in for the same problem and they said it was the head gasket and they supposedly replaced that, but that doesn't make sense to me why it would be leaking antifreeze. Thanks,

DogP

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just check around all the hoses and clamps use a white towel and see if it picks up anything when you rub it around a seal or something like that. I still had my original antifreeze in my 98 at 32000. ITS since been flushed etc. Apparently head gasket leaks are pretty common in the 2.2

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
If you have a blown or semi blown head gasket, it will manifest itself by giving the oil a "milky" appearance. You will be able to see this on your dipstick. The reason you will lose coolant due to this is because the coolant is being taken from the coolant system and mixed with your oil...

Check for leaks with the truck good and hot. If you have a leak by the upper radiator hose, it may leak out and evaporate before it can leave a tell tale puddle on the ground. The same can apply to a bad radiator cap. A leak somewhere where it is hot and is evaporated by the heat will have a maple syrup smell. However, these will only apply if you have a small leak. If you are losing A LOT of coolant, you should see a puddle somewhere. Check out your overflow too to make sure that it is working properly. Does the level in the tank go up when the truck has been driven? It should go without saying but, make sure that all your hose clamps are tight too.

If none of the following work, you may want to consider having your coolant system pressure checked. This is one way to pinpoint where the leak may be especially if it is in the radiator itself. HTH

Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the bad water pump make a gargling sound when it is cold, because I just noticed that it does make a weird sound, which sounds like maybe a bad bearing or something. Thanks

DogP

K

·
0 Posts
depends on where you hear the noise from....like all of us have told new s-truckers...ther is a piston slap condition on the 2.2l when the engine is cold...and the noise goes away hot....yea a head gasket can cause the antifreeze to mystrerisouly disapear...pull your dipstick and see if you are way over full and milky...kinda looks gray or something...that is antifreeze mixing with the oil...if it is antifreeze in the oul...be sure to correct the proble and change the oil quick...antifreeze will eat up all the bearing and bearing surfaces in the engine. Another possibility is the heater core...which is located behind the dash...it may be leaking into the heater box and just has not leaked enough to drip out or notice yet....but a pressure test will tell you if your system is holding pressure..i have also seen leaking radiator caps..that will cause antifreeze to leak out when hot...soo..pressure test your radiator cap also...hope this helps...

Kenn

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Kenny has a good point. The heater cores are notorious for a ton of hard to find leaks. They also like to leak down the firewall behind the carpet, soak up into the rug and take a while to show. Based on what you have stated I would say that you either have a bad head gasket or heater core. Hope we all helped

·
Low and Slow
28 Posts
Gurgling Sound

Just something to think about. I was losing AF too recently and I also heard a gurgling sound right when I cranked my truck up. I traced it to the water pump. It has a small hole in it and when the bearing is gone it drips out of it. I replaced it and haven't heard the gurgling sound since and no more AF problems.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts