S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a swap on my 92 4.3 TBI to a 87 TBI 350. My truck has 160000 miles on it and wondering if my trans will hold up for long or should I just buy a trans from a V8? I am just going to rebuild the motor and not drive it too hard. If anything just a mild build on the motor. Any help on this trans is appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
The trany that is in my 350 S-10 tahoe is from a TBI 4.3. It has held up for now. However, it slipd into second. I am changing it out for a trany from a 350 out of a fullsize pickup...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I am just going to do it all at once and buy the 350 trans. Do you think I should rebuild the trans before I put it in? I am not sure whats all involved in that or if you can just replace a few parts on it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes I too agree it'll be alright.
The early 4.3 liter 700's had fewer clutches and some other things different than the V-8 versions.
Starting in 1990 the 4.3 liter 700's were built to the same specs as the ones behind the V-8's. There were still some calibration differences. I had problems with the governor in a 4.3 700 I put behind a V-8, swapping out the governor solved the problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HMMMM now I don't know what to do. I have a 92 so I guess it is the same.... and if so I guess there is no point in swapping it. Should I replace the clutch in it or anything else while it is out? It is just going to be very mildly rebuilt. No serious HP. Thanks for all the help guys... you might save me alot of money this weekend. Anything else to look out for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts