S-10 Forum banner

Another Old Guys DD

16K views 120 replies 26 participants last post by  ldorsey1959 
#1 ·
I decided it was time to start a build thread. I have been hanging around here for years. I'm not one to be able to contribute but have learned a lot from the group. This is my third s10 I've had a 83 Jimmy and a 89 Jimmy prior to the 2002 Blazer. Lots of little changes made over the years.
  • ZQ8 wheels salvaged from a yard completely redone.
  • Android head unit with blue tooth and backup camera.
  • Envoy door panels and handels.
  • Envoy console
  • Gauge cluster change.
  • LED light total replacement.
  • 4 door leather seats with heat.
  • SS mirrors with turn indicator and heat.
  • Replace rag joint with Flaming River joint
  • Hood struts
Now the next part a LS swap. I looked for a LM4 so I could keep the weight down and found one about an hour away. The salvage yard was to busy to pull it so they sold me what you see. A 2003 Envoy XL. The wire harness was cut when the pulled the transmission and it was missing the alternator. Truck was rolled but they assured me that still ran.

See less See more
#84 ·
Engine is looking good.
If you want anything for the heads, you can dust on a light coat of Cast Coat Aluminum by Duplicolor.
It helps to hold back the oxidation/chalkiness that tends to form on the bare castings.
Just a light coat, like overspray... too heavy & it looks like metallic silver paint.

#85 ·
I wish I would have done a little more research on the oil pressure sender. I change out the wire harness to a one wire and then purchased a
99-02 5.3 Silverado Oil Pressure sender Then I read where @Harley and @98Sonosls said it not perfectly accurate with the S10 gauge, So now I just purchased a M16 1.5 Adapter to 1/8 NPT . I'll run the S10 sender. This nickel and dime stuff can certainly add up

#91 ·
You definitely have style! :cool:.
Thanks! I have been working on this for over a year. Asking all kinds of questions looking over all the threads and trying to gleam some knowledge. I have a couple of other ideas that I hope work as far as design. Now I need to put the engine and transmission in my blazer up for sale. Hope to get enough to help pay for the transmission build. Found that most builders in this area will not do "bench" builds. I found one about 70 miles away that will do a rebuild with upgrade parts.[/QUOTE]

#100 · (Edited)
I put my 4.3 and trans up for sale on FBM locally. I got four interested within an hour. Asking $900.00 ill use the money for my transmission build. I'm selling them still in the blazer so the buyer can hear it run. Has 211,000 miles and still has great oil pressure and does not burn but it does leak oil even after two pan and timing cover gasket change outs.:)

Hood Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Car

I did find a local builder that will do a bench build with up graded parts.
  1. Corvette servo
  2. Transgo HD2 kit
  3. New pump
  4. Harden sunshell
  5. wideband
  6. Z pack
  7. .500 boost valve
  8. 4.2 V6 converter
I found that builders like doing these their own way with their parts so for my DD it should be fine. @Tranzman has his parts list that was very helpful but this guy was going to do it his way. Other builders were also stuck on their parts or were not interested once I said "swap". If we were closer @Tranzman would be doing the build but I do understand his reluctance because of the distance.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#102 ·
To get the grease out of that ground strap mix Dawn 4X with simple Green and soak it in the hottest water you have for a while then use a brush and give it a light scrub and it will pull the grease right out of it.

#103 · (Edited)
Finally the transmission is done
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Jacked up cab 1 1/2"
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design

loosen front and middle cab mounts. Reworked the wire harness drooping across the firewall hid in the cowl. Moved the C101 plug to the drivers side.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

@Harley motor mount fit great. 1/2" clearance at the cross member. Oil pan does not hang down below crossmember.. It fit right into the cross member. Drive shaft bolted up. I was able to do this by myself with the cab raised it was a breeze slid right in.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

#111 ·
So now I try to start it and I break down immediately it went into limp mode. I manage to get it back to the shop. I replaced the accelerator pedal DBW showed the code. Problem resolved so now for another spin. Now the damn oil pressure switch started leaking. Now this is the single wire aftermarket kind. So I replaced it with a ACDelco. The damn socket stuck on the switch and would not come off. I tried my best but end-up breaking the switch and changed it out to another aftermarket since I could not find a ACDelco in the whole town. So now I am on my third switch. I took it for another spin now I have only about 3 miles on this engine. The shifting is messed up will not shift right. Acts like a solinoid switch. When I was looking for a trans bench builder there was no one in town that would do the corvette servo, harden sun shell trans go shift kit. So I went to a builder 1 1/2 hrs away. Now I had to load the Blazer on a trailer and tow it to him. It is now at the trans builder and hopfully I will get it back this week.

#112 ·
Trans builder called with good news. The servo pin was to short and let the second gear slip. It is now fixed and ready for a third first drive. I will go and pick it up this Thursday and will report back. This cost me another $150.00 not quite right but i just hope it is fixed. I did learn something about having work done out of state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.