S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· Premium Member
2002 blazer xtreme
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided it was time to start a build thread. I have been hanging around here for years. I'm not one to be able to contribute but have learned a lot from the group. This is my third s10 I've had a 83 Jimmy and a 89 Jimmy prior to the 2002 Blazer. Lots of little changes made over the years.
  • ZQ8 wheels salvaged from a yard completely redone.
  • Android head unit with blue tooth and backup camera.
  • Envoy door panels and handels.
  • Envoy console
  • Gauge cluster change.
  • LED light total replacement.
  • 4 door leather seats with heat.
  • SS mirrors with turn indicator and heat.
  • Replace rag joint with Flaming River joint
  • Hood struts
Now the next part a LS swap. I looked for a LM4 so I could keep the weight down and found one about an hour away. The salvage yard was to busy to pull it so they sold me what you see. A 2003 Envoy XL. The wire harness was cut when the pulled the transmission and it was missing the alternator. Truck was rolled but they assured me that still ran.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Nice looking blazer! You can get a big boost in hp with a simple cam change if you want too. I went with a LS3 for my L33 with LS6 intake. As an old guy myself with limited facilities I went with the Holley accessary kit and the Hummer oil pan, makes things a lot quicker and simpler! Keep us posted with plenty of pics!

· Premium Member
2002 blazer xtreme
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking blazer! You can get a big boost in hp with a simple cam change if you want too. I went with a LS3 for my L33 with LS6 intake. As an old guy myself with limited facilities I went with the Holley accessary kit and the Hummer oil pan, makes things a lot quicker and simpler! Keep us posted with plenty of pics!
I was looking for a stock cam and found this article.LS Cam Test Comparison - Car Craft Magazine

I decided to look for a LQ9 cam and found one on FB marketplace. Brand new pulled from a crate motor. It came with the stock push rods and BTR valve seals all for $25.00.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
That's the cam most people use for if they're going to turbo charge, you will see a hp gain just not as much as with LS3 or LS6 cam, never the less a steal for $25. You may need stronger valve springs. Got my engine and trans. in for a trial fit. Everything lines up fine, I'll probably install new Moog coil springs tomorrow.

· Premium Member
2002 blazer xtreme
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spent the morning at LKQ looking for parts needed inner fenders for wife's odessy and under engine cover. This was a no find but I did score this 2001 Grand AM fan and radiator. Thanks to @Harley I will be doing a pressurized system. I didn't pull the expansion tank and may go back but I would like to find something a little more compact. The radiator and fan removes from the bottom found this out after struggling to get it out the top:rolleyes:

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,998 Posts
Spent the morning at LKQ looking for parts needed inner fenders for wife's odessy and under engine cover. This was a no find but I did score this 2001 Grand AM fan and radiator. Thanks to @Harley I will be doing a pressurized system. I didn't pull the expansion tank and may go back but I would like to find something a little more compact. The radiator and fan removes from the bottom found this out after struggling to get it out the top:rolleyes:
View attachment 348709
That's what we used in mine. Works great. Even the trans cooler in it works pretty good...160* Harley fabbed up this for the bottom of the core support...some simple brackets allowed the AC condenser to attach to the radiator and keep it all inside the core support.

· Premium Member
2002 blazer xtreme
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful truck I would love to have a build even a little close to yours. I hope that here in Memphis on a hot day it will work as well as yours. @Harley did share his A/C condenser bracket drawing with me. Now this fit inside your support without cutting into the side supports? Do you have a shot of how you secured the top I'm assuming that you used the Grand Am rubber mounts with the Harley lower support. Also did you use the CPW hoodlatch bracket?

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,998 Posts
Beautiful truck I would love to have a build even a little close to yours. I hope that here in Memphis on a hot day it will work as well as yours. @Harley did share his A/C condenser bracket drawing with me. Now this fit inside your support without cutting into the side supports? Do you have a shot of how you secured the top I'm assuming that you used the Grand Am rubber mounts with the Harley lower support. Also did you use the CPW hoodlatch bracket?
Thanks. @Harley would be better to answer the mounting questions. I know we got some mounts at the junkyard and cut them up, then made a pocket in the core support for them. Harley made a bunch of cuts so as not to take too much out at one time. It's a snug fit. The hood latch bracket is stock and unmolested. Side boob shot of support/radiator/fans.

· Registered
03 GMC Sonoma SLS & 04 Chevrolet Blazer Ls
1,293 Posts
1 - 20 of 107 Posts