S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally thought i had my truck fixed the other night, and today im drivin home from my girlfriends appartment, about an hour away from home, and it starts to sputtering so i look down at the gauges and i have about 6 volts, and then it dies

so i get it into the parking lot and get it started back up, still low voltage though, so i pull the wire off the battery, and it dies again, making me think that it was the alternator, so i run to advance auto and get a new alternator, put that in, and STILL have the same problem

im completely out of ideas, it almost has to be a problem in the wiring somewhere

if anyone has ANY ideas im open to anything, i gotta get home asap

thanks

russ

·
Early Member
3,167 Posts
If your alternator was bad, it wasn't charging the battery. I would charge your back up and go from there.

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, but with the new alternator installed, disconnecting my battery should put the load on the alternator and the truck should still run, but it doesnt

thanks for the input

russ

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
wonbadass10 said:
right, but with the new alternator installed, disconnecting my battery should put the load on the alternator and the truck should still run, but it doesnt

thanks for the input

russ
NO, NO, NO! DO NOT disconnect your battery while your truck is running!!! You WILL blow the diodes on the rectifier bridge and the alternator will be WASTED! You may also damage your ECM pulling this stunt also. HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, i didnt explain that clearly, i didnt disconnect the main wire on the battery, i disconnected the smaller one that is powering my ignition system ( a previous fix to a wiring problem)

thansk for the help man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts