S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm about to paint my door handles to match my truck, yes I got the 97 handles. I was wondering if when I paint them I need to take them apart or just start spraying till I can't spray no more?

And if I do take them apart, how do I remove the metal rod in the back that holds the handle to the bezel?

·
PPG Sprayin Minitrucker
1,038 Posts
No you do not need to take them completly apart. Just remove the lock cylinders and the black gasket around the end. Then scuff them up really good with a red scotchbrite. Then just spray away. until you can see black anymore. It doesn't matter if the handle is closed cause thats all you see anyway. And if you do try and prop it open to paint it the top of the handle will not get covered. Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah bro that helps. *dumb question coming* what is a red scotchbrite? Is that like the kitchen scrubbers or what not?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*bump*

How hard is it to re-install these damned things? I got the two bolts off and was about to pop the rods off and then noticed something...my big ass hands were barely in the door. This got me thinking that its gonna be hella hard to get those rods back into place after pull out the old handles. Basically, how much time am I looking at wasting by trying to install these myself?

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
dont take them out, if you have the bolts out then just paint them like that. that will give you enough room to put paper behind them on the doors and cover everything. Just unbolt them and leave the rods connected

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, no, no.....I haven't got the smooth handles on yet. I was about to test fit and then I stopped when I realized my predicament.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts