S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canadian men eat beaver..
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiberglass is smelly.
I made this to fit a 10" rockford HE sub behind my seat (bench in a 94, w/ the seat alllll the way back)...
It's un-finished, i started it yesterday, it still needs at least 1 more layer of glass to strengthen it up, and then some finish work, but ya get the idea.
The sub is mounted inside the box, facing rear-ward. It's not real boomy or anything, but it definately gave my setup a lot better sound.
Yes, i know my wiring is messy (sacrelige!) but like i said, it just got started yesterday, and i threw it in tonight to see how it'd sound.
No-One ever told me the rear wall of an s-10 is only 1 layer (oops, 2 screw holes thru to the outside, holding the amp.)
Anyway, pics...

·
Xtreme Owner
72 Posts
hmmmm.....

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
how did you glass the sub in like that? i mean how did you mount it, run the wires, ect?

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sub's mounted to the back piece of MDF, on the inside. You have to take the back piece off to get the sub out... Wires are 8ga (i know, overkill!) ran through small holes in the side...

It's about 2 layers of cloth, and like 4 layers of 'glass right now. I need to pull it out again and 'glass another layer inside, and probably one more outside, and then do alot of finishing work to it (it looks pretty wavy right now) The sub is a vented pole, but theres about 3/4" between the pole and the 'glass wall...

I 'glassed over an old CD-R mounted to the inside on a piece of MDF to get the shape (no, i didnt 'glass over the sub!), and it worked out pretty decently...

I drove around all day with it back there, helped a friend move, and all it feels like is a lump behind the seat. I have my seat as far back as it'll go, if i didnt need the leg-room, i could prob move it foreward a notch or 2 and the box wouldnt even touch. Then again, if i could do that, i woulda made the box differently...

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
why did you decide on a design like that, rather than a regular box? just to be different? should look pretty nice when its finished and painted

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno, ther lump's not real bad or anything, i dont even notice it now thats it's been there a few days. Once i get some finish work done to it it should be a bit more rounded.

As for the design, the sub i have is like, 5 3/4" deep or something close, and i need my seat as far back as possible, so i wouldnt have been able to get enough depth with a normal, forward firing wedge box... Plus i think it's gonna look pretty trick, how many boxes are gonna look like this? :)

I dunno what to do for finishing tho, sand, bondo, paint or maybe carpet... or maybe i should just rockerguard it. lol. It might look kinda cool painted to match the exterior tho :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts