S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here is some history. I have a 2002 2.2L automatic with 82k miles. 3 years ago it had a blown head gasket due to the radiator petcock coming out somehow and it overheated.
Well the mechanic that did the HG replacement said that the head was milled about as far as it could be.
Now I an losing coolant :( . 1/2 gallon every 2 days. Whispy vapor after reaching temp in engine compartment. Droplets seen near rear of block(driver side), wet starter too. No smelly oil on dipstick. No smelly exhaust. Nothin ever reaches the ground but always smells like coolant and I can see the drops on side of block.
I've read many threads on HG replacement and I have the Chilton's manual.
Question: If I replace the HG without having anything done to the head, should I be ok?
I have a long weekend this week and have time to tear it down.
Suggestions?
(Maybe I should just have a 350 put in?)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you checked the hoses and connections?
I think you could replace the HG (if it's defective) and be race-ready.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
As long as your head isn't warped, you wouldn't need to do anything to it.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
what kind of HG he using?

should be the blue self sealing fel pro one

never any issue with them ever

proper torque specs?

new head bolts?

they are torque to yield, must tighten to certain torque and then turn a certain degrees more to max torque them(use something like plumbers pipe dope on threads of bolts to lube the threads to seal the threads against water and oil, non hardenign sealer. also oil the bolt heads, to get accurate torque readings)

if the head is straight then no need to mill as already stated yep

never come across a warped one yet over the years

but if it has been severely overheated then its possible
but still unlikely on a 2.2

the factory HG blow due to slippage between the gasket and the block and the head, because different thermal expansion rates dissimilar metals

the felpro gaskets take care of this and allow for slippage enough that they dont fail if installed properly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.