S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, people are so focking stupid.

After reading this sotry, just remember I was at one of the deputies (Toste) house the night before this happened.

Modbee.com
Domestic violence call turns fatal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By MICHAEL MELLO
BEE STAFF WRITER

A domestic violence incident ended fatally Friday when a Stanislaus County sheriff's deputy killed a man who tried to take a gun from the deputy's partner, investigators said.

The man who was shot to death was Juan Hernandez Garcia, 23, of Modesto, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Deputy Steve Plante fired the fatal shots, authorities said. He and partner Michael Toste will be put on paid administrative leave while the case is under investigation.

Toste injured his knee during a struggle with Garcia, sheriff's spokesman Kelly Huston said. He said the 22-year-old woman who lived at the home wasn't injured.

Garcia and his girlfriend frequently fought, neighbors said.

About 2:30 p.m. Friday, the deputies responded to the couple's home in the 700 block of Erickson Avenue in south Modesto after someone at the residence dialed 911 but quickly hung up.

The woman who answered the door appeared to the deputies to be nervous, Huston said. "It seemed like there was some sort of domestic violence."

The deputies asked Garcia to step outside so they could check him for weapons, Huston said.

As he came out, Garcia tried to toss away a large kitchen knife, according to the report. When the deputies saw that, Huston said, they tried to put handcuffs on Garcia, but he began struggling and thrashing around on the ground.

"He tried, on two different occasions, to take the deputy's gun," Huston said. "He almost got it out of the holster."

Arnold Abundiz, who lives in a different house on the same property, watched everything from 10 feet away.

Toste, he said, "told the other officer, 'He's going for my gun! He's going for my gun!'"

However, with Toste so close to the suspect, Abundiz said, Plante "hesitated to shoot." Then, "when Garcia struggled some more to get up, that's when he shot," Abundiz said.

Two bullets, fired from a .40-caliber Glock handgun, struck Garcia in the upper chest, Huston said.

"He looked dead ... they tried picking him up," Abundiz said, shaking his head. "If you fight with the cops, this is what happens."

Looking for a reason

The Sheriff's Department is trying to determine why Garcia acted the way he did.

"It was a scary situation," Huston said. "All he (Plante) knew is, this guy was trying to take the gun from him (Toste)."

Huston said Garcia was wanted on a felony warrant for making terrorist threats and for assault in a domestic violence case filed by the Newman Police Department. He said Garcia has had several domestic violence charges filed against him dating back to August 2001.

Pedro L. Guerra, who is Abundiz's father-in-law and lives with him, said Garcia and his girlfriend clashed frequently.

Most of the fighting took place within the residence, but sometimes could be heard by neighbors, Guerra said.

"She would say, 'Stop! Stop! Stop!' I knew something was going on," Guerra said. "Later on, everyone was outside and

happy. I knew many times they got into fights. I don't know why."

Uncertainty is the only cer-tainty when officers respond to a domestic violence situation, deputy Tom Letras said.

"You never know what you're getting into when you go to a domestic violence call," Letras said. "The victim can turn on you. You don't know how many people you're looking for. When you look at the kids, you may be taking their breadwinner from them."

It was the same for Toste and Plante, who didn't know they were headed into a domestic violence situation, Huston said. "These deputies didn't know what they were getting into until they were confronted by a guy with a knife."

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
bullshit...he was trying to get the gun, and got rid of a knife when he answered the door. you think he was going to clean the gun for the cop? anyway, wife/gf beaters deserve shot

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My favorite part of the whole thing is...

"He looked dead ... they tried picking him up," Abundiz said, shaking his head. "If you fight with the cops, this is what happens."

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
anotherblacks10 said:
like they couldn't have shot him in the leg or somewhere less fatal?
Fockin cops! always looking for a reason to shoot minorities.
:madfinger You know what, if it wasn't for me and the other thousands of officers on the streets protecting your sorry ass from asshats like this, you wouldn't be able to walk in public.

As far as shooting him in the leg, we are trained to shoot to kill. Dipshits like this deserve to die. First he was beating his wife. Then he tried to beat a cop. Now that he is gone, it is just one less idiot to deal with. If it interests you or not, he had several warrants for domestic violence, terrorist threats, and several contacts of Obstructing and Assualting a Police Officer. We have no room for him in my eyes. And Trust me, if you had a gun on your side and somebody tried to take it away from you, you would do everything you could to stay alive.

If you hate cops so much, then don't post when I'm just trying to give a reality check on how dangerous this job really is.

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
anotherblacks10 said:

that in itself is a uneducated racial comment. By bro works for a sheriffs dept here in mid mo, and trust me,w hite trash get what they deserve. Cops(even though for traffic reasons we dont like them) are trained to protect and serve the innocent bystandards of our country. I have no room for any amount of respect for child/wife/gf/elderly people beaters. this guy assaulted and tried to harm an officer trying to do his job. this guy got what was going to him if he acted that way. so back off dude.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
thats whats badass about the polizei.....if they even think you might have been drinking they are authorized to take blood for a test.....if you cooperate or not. they are known for beathing the sh*t out of people, and that makes them respected, slightly hated, but most of all the kind of people you dont want to do something illegal in front of. i'm a firm believer in you believe in what you get. and hey, at least his wife doesnt have to deal with his sorry ass anymore.

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sad thing is about the wife, she was standing right there when the other deputy pulled the trigger, twice.

Oh, I forgot to add in the original story, the deputy who shot was still in his FTO Program and had only 1 month on the job. Most Cops will go a whole career with out shooting anybody.

·
Get low
38 Posts
anotherblacks10 said:
What a dumbass, if someone is going for my gun, I'm shooting to kill.

·
Mine's Longer than yours.
2,828 Posts
trruuck said:
:madfinger You know what, if it wasn't for me and the other thousands of officers on the streets protecting your sorry ass from asshats like this, you wouldn't be able to walk in public.

As far as shooting him in the leg, we are trained to shoot to kill. Dipshits like this deserve to die. First he was beating his wife. Then he tried to beat a cop. Now that he is gone, it is just one less idiot to deal with. If it interests you or not, he had several warrants for domestic violence, terrorist threats, and several contacts of Obstructing and Assualting a Police Officer. We have no room for him in my eyes. And Trust me, if you had a gun on your side and somebody tried to take it away from you, you would do everything you could to stay alive.

If you hate cops so much, then don't post when I'm just trying to give a reality check on how dangerous this job really is.
:werd: I've always wanted to be a cop and recently decided to really go for it so i'm looking to go on ride alongs and such but this kind of story kind of scares me!

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
DblPrkd said:
:werd: I've always wanted to be a cop and recently decided to really go for it so i'm looking to go on ride alongs and such but this kind of story kind of scares me!
Things like this don't happen often. Sure they probably happen once everyday. But look at the statistics, how many law enforcment agencies are in the United States? Shoot, in Merced county alone we have 8 police departments and 1 sheriff dept, plus the California Highway Patrol. It has been almost one year since the county has had an officer involved shooting.

To be quite honest with you, a ride-a-long is the best thing you can do. It gives you an idea of what real cops really do. We drive around wondering our beat w/ no real destination. We get a call and take a report then go to the office and sit to type them. That's it. Sure we have our fun days when we get to do search warrants and special details. But believe it or not, most of our time is in the office writing reports.
Anyways, to get back to the ride-a-long thing, the best way to do it, is to go to your local law enforcement agency and ask to speak with a watch commander about riding out. Most agencies require about 1 weeks notice for civilian ride-a-longs. When you ride out, wear a pair of nice blue jeans and a polo type shirt, preferably with no logos on it. Shit, if you were closer to me, I'd let you ride out with me. Then we could go fock with the stupid ricers in town, lol.

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
trruuck said:

Jeez bro chill the fock out! I don't hate cops, I never said anything about that. I just merely said they could have shot him somewhere else rather than his chest at point blank, twice. I know he was reaching for the cop's gun, it never said he had the gun. I know it's different out there when shit happens to you and you do what you can to survive, but when police (like yourself) say that he deserved to die, and he was scum, then you are no longer a police officer but a judge, a jury, and the executioner. You as a police officer do not have the right to choose who lives or dies, based on their criminal past. that's why we have courts and judges. that doesn't mean you can't defend yourself though. I'm also sure they teach you what to do in case a suspect reaches for your gun other than blasting two in his chest in front of his family. And one more thing, if he did what was right in your view as a police officer, why are they investigation the reason he acted the way he did? if they teach you to shoot to kill then why is this not justified?

Oh and nice way to defend yourself when someone speaks their mind, when it's a different view than yours. Very professional of you. We really need more officers like you out there! Jumping to conclusions, and attacking total strangers for speaking out.
I appreciate the job that police officers do for us all on a daily basis, it's the bad cops out there that fock it up for the good ones and then they all have a bad rep.

And don't try to justify your bad career choices by trying to make me feel grateful for you being a cop who works a dangerous job.
It's your choice to be a police officer and if you get shot, that's just an inherent danger which is just part of your job description.
I don't owe you any respect just cause you're a cop, i owe it to the police officers in my area keeping the place clean.

Peace out and don't shoot your computer if you don't agree with what i'm saying ok?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
what pissed me off about what you said was the minority bullshit. thats what it was - bullshit. until you have been in a situation where your life is on the line, you have no right to judge how they reacted. there is almost always an investigation, just for paperwork. bad career choice? if there weren't guys out there like him, your pretty little dime would probably be stolen the minute you walked away from it in the parking lot. and you say you appreciate the cops, but dont own them respect? can you keep your opinion the same throughout your writing? and if i was there, it wouldnt matter if he was going for my gun, id give him two through the knees, then one in the gut for beating his girlfriend.

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
anotherblacks10 said:
Jeez bro chill the fock out! I don't hate cops, I never said anything about that. I just merely said they could have shot him somewhere else rather than his chest at point blank, twice. I know he was reaching for the cop's gun, it never said he had the gun. I know it's different out there when shit happens to you and you do what you can to survive, but when police (like yourself) say that he deserved to die, and he was scum, then you are no longer a police officer but a judge, a jury, and the executioner. You as a police officer do not have the right to choose who lives or dies, based on their criminal past. that's why we have courts and judges. that doesn't mean you can't defend yourself though. I'm also sure they teach you what to do in case a suspect reaches for your gun other than blasting two in his chest in front of his family. And one more thing, if he did what was right in your view as a police officer, why are they investigation the reason he acted the way he did? if they teach you to shoot to kill then why is this not justified?

Oh and nice way to defend yourself when someone speaks their mind, when it's a different view than yours. Very professional of you. We really need more officers like you out there! Jumping to conclusions, and attacking total strangers for speaking out.
I appreciate the job that police officers do for us all on a daily basis, it's the bad cops out there that fock it up for the good ones and then they all have a bad rep.

And don't try to justify your bad career choices by trying to make me feel grateful for you being a cop who works a dangerous job.
It's your choice to be a police officer and if you get shot, that's just an inherent danger which is just part of your job description.
I don't owe you any respect just cause you're a cop, i owe it to the police officers in my area keeping the place clean.

Peace out and don't shoot your computer if you don't agree with what i'm saying ok?
Good for you. I appreciate your opinion. But there are a couple things I would like to say regarding your statement:
1. When it comes to my life and my partners life, I AM THE JUDGE, THE JURY, and if need be, THE EXECUTIONER.
2. The guy had the deputies gun in his hand.
3. As far as the investigation, every law enforcment agency has to perform a detailed investigation if it is a officer involved shooting. Regardless of the details. It's standard policy and saves the department from endless lawsuits.
4. I understand people have their own opinion.
5. I don't give a shit if you feel grateful for me or not. I choose this job and wouldn't give it up for the world. I don't need your gratefullness to justify my job.

Now that I've bitched enough, thank you for your opinion. I just hate it when joe blow citizen acts like they were there when the shit hit the fan. With statements like a "they could've shot him in the leg" and "Fockin cops! always looking for a reason to shoot minorities", it gives the impression that you dislike cops.
I'll take my own advise and hope you do to, Think before you talk.

·
Mine's Longer than yours.
2,828 Posts
trruuck said:
Things like this don't happen often. Sure they probably happen once everyday. But look at the statistics, how many law enforcment agencies are in the United States? Shoot, in Merced county alone we have 8 police departments and 1 sheriff dept, plus the California Highway Patrol. It has been almost one year since the county has had an officer involved shooting.

To be quite honest with you, a ride-a-long is the best thing you can do. It gives you an idea of what real cops really do. We drive around wondering our beat w/ no real destination. We get a call and take a report then go to the office and sit to type them. That's it. Sure we have our fun days when we get to do search warrants and special details. But believe it or not, most of our time is in the office writing reports.
Anyways, to get back to the ride-a-long thing, the best way to do it, is to go to your local law enforcement agency and ask to speak with a watch commander about riding out. Most agencies require about 1 weeks notice for civilian ride-a-longs. When you ride out, wear a pair of nice blue jeans and a polo type shirt, preferably with no logos on it. Shit, if you were closer to me, I'd let you ride out with me. Then we could go fock with the stupid ricers in town, lol.
U don't know how fast i'd take up on that. What education do you have? it's probably different than here but i'm going to College (not university) for it. I heard that for the first 10 years you only work night shifts and shit, i hope not. I would want to be in like a special division like for street racing or something but i really just want to be a cop.

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
and the funny thing is when he is feeling threatened, or someone is stealing his stuff or vandalizing his property, you better believe he will be calling the police.

Its funny how people will totally trash talk police, downplay them, disrespect them, BUT when they need them, the expect them to come around and do everything to make their little cushy lives nice and easy again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts