S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No it's not riced.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i am changing my 2.2L for a 4.3L. There are plenty of these threads but just about all say "Just go for a V8" well i dont wanna go for a V8. I got a 96 4.3L Vortec and Automatic tranny in a wrecked sdime and a 96 2.2L with standard tranny in a undamaged sdime. So I am just wondering what kind of troubles i will be looking at when doing this swap. Any help on what has to be done or what not to do is welcome thanx!

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
i believe the reason most people say you should just go with a v8 is because of how difficult it is to do that kind of a swap. The biggest problem I have seen is the security feature on some of the later model s10's. This feature cuts off fuel supply to the engine if is senses the electronics have been tampered with at all. This has been the biggest problem I have seen about these swaps. But since you have a 96 I don't know if that feature is on those models.

·
Registered
697 Posts
is there structural damage to the V6 truck? if not i would say just swap out body parts.

I really dont see a big problem with swapping out. i mean you have the donor truck. pull everything i mean strip the bish down. motor mounts, tranny mount, cross member (if needed), driveshaft (if needed), wiring, shifter, center console, carpet, everything.
hell if the windshield has bird shtuff on it swap it out.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Good lord.....read through the threads there is a ton of info.....and the genral consensus is if you're going to all the work to swap since it is a pain in the ass anyways, put some extra effort into it and do a V8 swap.....

Caleb

·
No it's not riced.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
about the damage... this was the second wreck with that truck... and the frame area that was repairs last time buckled easier and curl nicely and the front axle was damaged... and i would mind a V8 but that is money that is non existant in my pocket.... so i was just lookin for ne known problems with this swap... so far from reviewing and re-reviewing the repair manual i think it wont be too bad.... just wondering if ne1 know about the fuel pump/ line size and pressure of the 2 setups? i'd like to get through without having to transfer that but if it must be done it can be.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
it has to be done

Caleb

·
Registered
697 Posts
better safe than sorry.
that why i said strip the v6 truck and put everything on the 4 cyl truck.

·
Registered
697 Posts
SummerWolf said:
Good lord.....read through the threads there is a ton of info.....and the genral consensus is if you're going to all the work to swap since it is a pain in the ass anyways, put some extra effort into it and do a V8 swap.....

Caleb
heh, dude decaf. j/k

if i had a complete v6 donor truck i wouldnt spend the extra money on a v8 but thats just me. i mean having the donor leaves nothing but labor time. time is easier to come by then money dont you agree?
however if i had one and found someone to trade for a v8 set up i'd go for that instead.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I'd take the donor truck and strip it down, sell all components separately and have enough money to buy an LT1.....

I wouldn't put the time into a V6 swap, its still going to be a pain in the ass when its started...people just don't realize whats involved most of the time.

Caleb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts